Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: External Storage Solution

Austral Alien

Default Re: TGS Challenge: External Storage Solution

Here's another progress shot. I just need to do the wiring, and fit the power switch and power LED.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

Austral Alien

Thanks guys. There will be shots of the insides. I just won't be showing any PSU mods at all.
    I also wanted to do a non-Rat mod for a change.

As for handles, I did think about that, and I even have some I thought of using, but I decided against it as I won't be using it for travelling, I will have it live on my desk and be used as a back up drive for my Lappy and main PC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky View Post
    hahaha..."Wacky"
    -Wackello Capello

Austral Alien

Here are the final pics.

The HDD I had lying around I used the 5.25" adapters on. It also has the USB cable I bought off eBay.

Here you can see it installed. The USB hub is just Blu-tac'd in place on the PSU. I'll mount it properly when I mod a PSU for the case later. It has the front USB hub plug into it as well and it's getting it's power from a wall wart. When I mod the next PSU, both hubs will be powered off the PSU. As I couldn't mod the PSU for this comp, I just threw an old AT 150W PSU in to fill the hole and have a switch that would power it on without any modding. To make the power switch work on the front, I used a small chrome button held in place with a lubricated rubber grommet. It slides in an out and hits the AT switch.

The leads out the back: PSU power, Wall Wart for the USB and the USB lead to plug into the computer.

And a couple of finished shots.

Link To Original Worklog
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 11-24-2008 at 01:56 PM.