Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: PC In Disguise

Overclocked

Default Re: Project PC In Disguise

Hey guys, 'tis me again. I just came to the conclusion that do I really need that little gauge? I mean if I have an lcd screen on the comp why can't I just display temp from there lol? Sorry about this pointless and retarded post, I'm just waiting for my test rig (*an old school Windows 3.1 machine*) to dry, so I can see how this plaster paris stuff works and to see if it would be worth using. I'll have more details including some pics of Optimus' helmet with stuff attached to it. Until then, I'm out. Oh one more thing, I need looking for lcd screens that can fit into two drive bays, so if you guys could send me links for them and such, that would be great. Thanks a lot.

Overclocked

Well, that Plaster Paris stuff that I had bought ended up being total crap. I touched it and it shattered. Oh well. Good news is that I actually did find that Bondo stuff that everyone was talking about. Of course no one ever told me that Bondo was the name of the company and not the specific product, OR that it's an automotive product. No wonder no one at Home Depot knew what I was talking about. I find it really hard to work with because instead of just the regular putty, I am using this Bondo-hair stuff where it's like strands of fiberglass. Whatever, it seems to be working; although I think I'm going to need A LOT more than what I had purchased for 20 bucks Canadian. I'll have some pics of the helmet with some of the Bondo on it in just a moment. Until then, I'm out.

Overclocked

Here are those pics of the helmet with that weird Bondo stuff. Unfortunately, I'm new to it, so some parts will have to be redone because there wasn't enough hardening gel put in it so it's permanently sticky. Other than that, it looks super ugly, but it's coming along nicely. Also, just recently I discovered a problem with my schematic in the sense that there isn't enough width on the case to put both drive bays side by side. If anyone could give me some tips on how I could make it work I would be delighted; even if you don't have any sollutions, please leave a message on this thread, it's getting lonely being the only one posting. Well, I'm going to go cry lol, so I'm out.

*Note the yellow quesadilla maker in the background. That thing kicks major nalgas!*

Overclocked

Hey guys, just thought I'd check in again. The helmet is coming along quite ugly, but nicely. It turns out I was using the wrong kind of Bondo. If any of you ever wonder which stuff to use, BUY THE CHEAPER STUFF!!!! That's definitely the stuff to use. Anyways, I added the final addition to the helmet itself, however I do need to add more Bondo and sand it all down before I go on to anything else. Also, I would like to note that my plans have changed a bit since my crappy concept art. I'm still pondering about how I'm going to make my optical drives fit (The case isn't wide enough for them to sit side by side); however, that is down the road. Also, because I want the helmet to slide and move, I am no longer going to have the power button inside the helmet itself. Instead, I will keep the button where it is on the case, but I will change the button itself to look like the Autobots logo. Yes, I know, I'm a slacker lol. Anyways, I have to go to sleep so I can wake up for tennis in the morning, so until then, I'm out. Oh btw, KEEP POSTING!!!! Even if it's hate mail, I don't care, I just don't want to be the only one reading this damn thread! Lol, goodnight.

I knew those pizza boxes would come in handy for things other than grease fires!

Future button.

Overclocked

Wow, you took the words right out of my mouth! This post was going to be about the "moving" part of the helmet. Unfortunately, the drives must be moved because I am putting a screen where they are right now. As for the helmet moving part, does anyone have any ideas of what I can do with that? My plan right now is to have a military button, that, when switched, will make the helmet move up from the front of the case to the top of the case, so you can watch the screen. I want to find some sort of conveyor belt or motorized sliders that I can attach to the case that the helmet would fit and slide on so when you flick the switch on, the helmet would be lifted up and over the case and when switched off, would lower back down. If anyone can help me with this, that would be great! Think of a forklift type mechanism. I'll be waiting for you readers to respond but until then, I'm out.

Oh btw, I finally got The Bible (a.k.a. Mr. Capello's amazing extreme modding book). *Sigh*, if only I would have read this BEFORE starting my project. Oh well!

Overclocked

Hey guys, sorry about not updating it in a bit (my goal is an almost daily update). I went to the Ben Lee concert the other night and I'm still pretty drained from it, so I put my project on hold for the past couple of days. I'm at a loss right now because I don't want to get too far into the project, because, well.... I can't. I can't continue planning out the case until I have a sollution to the motorized slider problem. So basically all I can do now is to continue working on the helmet; but even that's going to be tricky because of the sliders. I'm still looking for help with finding sliders or some sort of forklift device that can lift the helmet, so if anyone can help me with that, it would be much appreciated. Should have more updates on the helmet, but until then, I'm out.

Sexy Hot Nurse ..... NOT!! b4i7's Avatar

what about an old cd drive?

you can use the motor and sliders etcfrom it

Quote Originally Posted by intergalacticman View Post
    stunning, how does one tap a hole?

Overclocked

I never even thought of that, thanks so much for the idea. The only problem would be the weight issue more than anything. I haven't even finished with the Bondo on the helmet, and already it weighs inbetween 2 and 5 pounds (approx.)
    Do you think that would be an issue for the motor and sliders from the cd rom drive, and also, would I be able to program both motors to start at the same time, so the two parts of the helmet would move in unison? (I forgot to mention that the helmet will consist of two parts/pieces, thus needing two sets of sliders.)

Overclocked

Hi everyone, sorry for not updating. I have some bad news lol, I kind of got poisoned from the Bondo. I ended up inhaling too much of it while I was sanding and I'm still feeling the effects a couple days later. So here's a word of advice for you youngsters: WEAR PROTECTION!!!! I sawed my finger because I didn't wear gloves (and didn't use the right tools lol) and I semi-poisoned myself because I wasn't wearing a mask. All you modders out there, learn from my mistakes. I will continue the project once I am feeling better; but until then, I'm out.

Overclocked

Thanks very much guys. Until I can keep going on my project, I'll post what i've done on the day that I got sick. Stupid me, should've just Bondo'd the parts that needed to be attached to the helmet, instead I Bondo'd the entire thing. It turned out much worse than I had expected, even after hours of sanding. Here are some pics after all the Bondo had been put on.