Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sphere Case Mod?

Default Sphere Case Mod?

Does anyone think its possible to have a PC case that is completely sphere?

This is something that I thought of when I was half asleep.

On the outside it would look like some alien Sphere. Completely chrome and finished with some tech indentations on the metal. The cd drives are hidden along with the fan bays. (Moreless for Show and transporting) Made of a plastic and an outer pannel of sheet metal like the rest of the case. The cd drive bay covers will fold out when the drives are ejected. The inside will probably the the tricky part. building mounting brackets for a square or rectangle motherboard inside of a round shell. The other bays for your other cards. pci agp so on. those can have removeable covers like the fan bay coverings.

Opening the case. I was thinking of 4 release buttons that are flush with the case metal on the outside and 2 are located on each opposite side of the case. Pushing all the buttons in will release the 2 hemispheres of the case and if you lift up it will open and show you all your working components. I was thinking of mounting the motherboard laying flat on a mounting sheet for it that attaches to the lower hemisphere of the case so it lays horizontally. Depending on how small your motherboard shall be is how much lower you can put your motherboard into it.

Myself I didnt get to think about how or where to put the hardrives or the cd drives. I do think though if someone did make this case it would look very sweet. Maybe with a vew clear water cooling tubes coming from it and have some glowing effects coming from them. it would only add to the alien look of the case.

I know some people will not like this or just think it cannot be done.
    I would do it myself but I dont have the equipment, time or money to do it.

I really didnt have much time to draw out a example. But if any of you want to attempt to make this please do so cause i would love to see how it will turn out with your changes or what not.

Thanks for reading and please tell me of some flaws with the design if you think there are any.

Water Cooled

i think it is very doable and would look pretty sweet. you just need a frame in the inside holding all your components. Also make sure you have good stands for it because it will roll away

Quote Originally Posted by Frakk
    i think it is very doable and would look pretty sweet. you just need a frame in the inside holding all your components. Also make sure you have good stands for it because it will roll away
    I thought it would really sweet as well. I wasnt sure if it would be doable but i was also thinking of the stand that could be a darker shade of grey but with the alien tech look to it. Its hard to explain whats in my head.

I wish i could jak my brain into my computer. That would make it easier...

Water Cooled

well then go for it if you make some drawings and plans post it here so we can see the details.

Fresh Paint

I've seen this done with a mini-itx board or one of those little things. Not nearly as complicated of course, but still turned out cool.

Myself, I have always wanted to do something like this. My main computer's hostname has always been 'DarkOrb' so for quite a while I've wanted a dark orb case never got around to it though, obviously.

Its a real good idea, not many people have done it or have the skills to do it; good luck if you try it...and post a worklog

Quote Originally Posted by siege
    I've seen this done with a mini-itx board or one of those little things. Not nearly as complicated of course, but still turned out cool.

Myself, I have always wanted to do something like this. My main computer's hostname has always been 'DarkOrb' so for quite a while I've wanted a dark orb case never got around to it though, obviously.

Its a real good idea, not many people have done it or have the skills to do it; good luck if you try it...and post a worklog
    I wish i could do it. I would patent the design but i cant build one. i dont have the metal work skills, time, money or patience. Lol.

The One and Only

Unfortunately the IO panels on a computer are not designed for a round cases. Plus after you have spent a few grand making one and it rolls off the desk and crash on the floor I have a feeling someone will cry...

Quote Originally Posted by mashie
    Unfortunately the IO panels on a computer are not designed for a round cases. Plus after you have spent a few grand making one and it rolls off the desk and crash on the floor I have a feeling someone will cry...
    You have to have a pretty good imagination to make it work. In my head it will work cause ive thought about it for a long time.

If I had someone with the skill and the equipment right next to me I could walk them right through it. And yes we did mention a stand....

The One and Only

I'm still curious how you will sort out the IO ports unless you intend to make a stupid number of 3" extension leads.

Not the mention the sphere will get really big if you intend to fit a full ATX board in there. Did have this kind of thoughts many years ago.

For the spheres you are best off with someone doing aluminium spining, should cost you around $3-400 per half.

To get buttons cut out of the spheres will be tricky if you want it done clean, probably using someone with a laser or waterjet mounted on a robot arm.

Btw, If you get the centre of gravity right you won't need a stand
    www mashie org

Quote Originally Posted by mashie
    For the spheres you are best off with someone doing aluminium spining, should cost you around $3-400 per half.
    I got a few quotes about 3 weeks ago for 12" spun domes .. one will cost about $300, but since that is mostly setup time, the 2nd should be much less. Still is it alot to spend on something that really shouldnt cost more than $80 if you could find a shop that made then in qty already.

Without doing the math .. I would say you would need at least a 16" sphere to fit all the hardware using a mATX MB.
    Last edited by JesDer; 04-02-2005 at 12:53 AM.