Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sphere Case Mod?

Go for a P4 mini-itx system and use these 12" diameter hemis: http://www.wagnercompanies.com/ends/balls.html

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by JesDer
    I got a few quotes about 3 weeks ago for 12" spun domes .. one will cost about $300, but since that is mostly setup time, the 2nd should be much less. Still is it alot to spend on something that really shouldnt cost more than $80 if you could find a shop that made then in qty already.

Without doing the math .. I would say you would need at least a 16" sphere to fit all the hardware using a mATX MB.
    if you've got access to a big enough wood lathe, you can do it yourself. You make a wood template on the lathe first, then put the aluminum over it and go to town (you'd have to watch - i can't explain quickly) I saw some dude on HGTV a few months ago make spun aluminum bowls like this...seems like the same concept can be applied to something a bit bigger fairly easily

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Sky
    Go for a P4 mini-itx system and use these 12" diameter hemis: http://www.wagnercompanies.com/ends/balls.html

Wow, seeing those actually just gave me a really awesome idea for a sphere(ish) case. Would be pretty high tech but sweet.. Damn, if only I had the time, money, and hardware

edit: and I just saw the prices for those and its not bad. now if only I had the hardware, cause I would make the time
    Last edited by siege; 04-03-2005 at 07:36 PM.

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by mashie
    To get buttons cut out of the spheres will be tricky if you want it done clean, probably using someone with a laser or waterjet mounted on a robot arm.

Not entirely true. I am sure if you were to drill out holes, from the inside out you would have less movement and a shot at making decent holes.

Who in this forum has access to a laser or waterjet on a robot arm?
    Last edited by fishies; 04-03-2005 at 09:37 PM.
    -=-=-=-=-
    When computers collide, Bob is born
    And remember, boys and girls, it's better to say nothing, if that's what you know.

CJ-CWC

What is strange is I started a project with an Acrylic Sphere that is 14" Diameter about 1 year ago... Almost everything is done it even includes water cooling. I will post some pictures of how I did things all out of acrylic... It would be interesting to see it all done in metal.

I wish you luck and hope to see your progress if you start doing the project.

CJ-CWC

Quote Originally Posted by fishies
    Not entirely true. I am sure if you were to drill out holes, from the inside out you would have less movement and a shot at making decent holes.

Who in this forum has access to a laser or waterjet on a robot arm?
    P.S. I DO

www.customwatercuts.com

All waterjets are mounted in a CNC fashion as you are cutting at approximately 47,000 psi and well you would never want to hold such a device in your hands come to think of it I don’t think you could even if you wanted too.

Fresh Paint

well me being me and always having way too many ideas for my own sanity, I had an idea, and went ahead and started planning a little something. I have the basic idea down on paper and right now I'm making a 3d model of it to make sure everything will fit. basically, it'll involve an 18" sphere made from fiberglass (fairly thick to keep its shape) and a full size motherboard - my new athlon64 system that will be complete once i order parts tomorrow. watercooled and all that jazz (i figure hey, I'm getting watercooling junk in a few weeks anyway, if this idea doesn't work out, I'll still be able to use it ). I'm gonna have to figure out how to use linear actuators (or find another idea - i have one but its way more complex) and find some good prices on them...fun stuff. might see a worklog once the 3d model is done and it looks like everything will fit...

And since I have wanted to do a sphere case for the last 5 years, I figure...what the hell, I (sorta) have the money right now, so I might as well git 'er done. this thing will be a monster though....so big, gonna have to build a side table to put it on because my desk isn't big enough!

CJ-CWC

Fiberglass sounds like a great idea however your 100% correct it will be thick and heavy of course so was mine... I ended up with 1/4" acrylic and an acrylic tray system that fits into entire thing...you maybe able to come up with some unique ways of structuring the fiberglass so it does not need to be soo thick. Maybe try layering with Carbon Fiber every other layer.

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by CJ-CWC

Fiberglass sounds like a great idea however your 100% correct it will be thick and heavy of course so was mine... I ended up with 1/4" acrylic and an acrylic tray system that fits into entire thing...you maybe able to come up with some unique ways of structuring the fiberglass so it does not need to be soo thick.
    I was thinking of maybe taking some rope and soaking it in resin and making 'ribs' on the inside of each hemisphere to help hold their rigidity.

btw, that sphere looks sexy, wanna make me one in 20" ?

CJ-CWC

Quote Originally Posted by siege
    I was thinking of maybe taking some rope and soaking it in resin and making 'ribs' on the inside of each hemisphere to help hold their rigidity.

btw, that sphere looks sexy, wanna make me one in 20" ?
    Well sadly I do not make the sphere's I only do watercutting however I purchased it from a Canadian company that specialize in making them if I can find the link to their site I will post it for you and all other that would like it...

Last time I saw them they were making a sphere large enough for a person to stand it I think it had a 5 foot diameter and took them 2 or 3 months to make, the only thing this company does is make Acrylic spheres so it is really cool to see the stuff they have done...