Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Lexa

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Default Re: Project: LEXA

Well today I was home from school cos I am sick so I thought I may as well try to get my radiator mounted.

First I measured and drilled some holes:

Yes I know that middle lower hole is a bit churned up. There was a hole there already and the drill bit tore away the space in between the hole I was drilling and the existing hole. Don't worry, I hill be hiding the damage with some mesh strips.
    Here is the radiator mounted:

And from the underside:

The radiator ended up being just a little bit crooked, you can only notice this if you are looking at it directly like this. I will fiddle with the holes to make it sit perfectly before I finish drilling the holes for the inlet and outlet.
    Here is a pic of the distance between the radiator and the actual floor (using my desk an an example):

The gap is around 1.5-2 cm and will probably end up being close to 3cm when the radiator is properly installed and once I make the case feet a bit taller.

I have come up with a solution for my cases height issue. I was thinking of using a few standard metal washers to jack the height up a little but after having so much time on my hands today I got thinking. I really have 4 realistic options.

Option 1:
    I use the standard metal washers...looks tacky.

Option 2:
    I cut the difference in height off the perfect LEXA front fascia...risk destroying it.

Option 3:
    I make 4 mini spacers (same design as the existing ones) to help raise the height, should give me around 3-4mm in extra height...very time consuming, don't think I have enough green plexi left.

Option 4:
    I make 8 small washers out of green plexi to use instead of the metal ones...should look AWESOME.

I am going to go with option 4 but how to make the washers??? I haven't thought of that part yet. Well I probably have all day tomorrow to think about that so I'll keep you posted. Until then...

Happy Modding.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

I have a holesaw but the size I need would be 1cm lol. I think I will have to just them out with a jigsaw or the Dremel and the but them on the bolt and attach it to the drill for a quick file with the good ol' file in the vice trick lol.

After thinking about my little problem I think I could use the hole to cut out the smallest circle I can with the hole saws at my disposal and then bolt them all together and grind most of the size off until I get my desired size. The only problem with this is the size the guide makes with the holesaw, this will be much larger than the bolts I am using. Looks like i will have to glue the plexi washers in place.

Quote Originally Posted by b4i7 View Post
    i say go with option 4 as well, mount them just under where the feet meet the black...that would look kickin!
    I was thinking of putting them in between the mesh and and the handle itself but I like your idea. The only downside, your way may alter the strength of the feet because the weight is going to the washers not the feet as a whole. I will try both ways and see what they look like before I stick the washers in place.

I may get around to getting them done today. I'm home again from school today (damn flu, homework building up) so after I finish the last of my assignments which are or were due this week (that I know of) I will try to get a start on them.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions guys, it means a lot.

Well I tried standard washers and in need about 3 of them to make up the required height that I need, it just looks tacky. If I make the plastic ones then I still may need 1 standard washer but it won't look so out of place. Shame mate, I am out of the right angle pieces. Cya when ya get back.

This is what I will be doing with the washers:

Pic courtesy of Cheapskate over at Bit-Tech

This is the simplest way to make them. Luckily I managed to find a hole saw slightly smaller than 1/2" so this should make my job slightly easier. I may get started during the week, I'll see how I go.

Well guys It's finally time for an update on the case feet. Guess what I did this morning...made the plexi washers YAY.

So I got some scrap pieces of plexi together and measured the size I needed for the washers, about 1.5cm diameter.
    Pic:

As it turns out the hole saw I used (3/4") cut the holes exactly the right size for my washers:

Note there are 10 washers in the pic, I only need 8 but 2 cracked so I made 2 extra. No I didn't pull the protective paper off the plexi...the hole saw did that for me lol.
    Next I got my drill, a bolt and a nut and this is what I came up with:

Once I got the file in the vice I was ready to go:

I don't need to make the washers any smaller than they are, I just want to tidy them up a little bit.
    Here we go:

And after a couple of mins I was left with these:

Time to install them.
    Here is a pic of the now complete foot, I may need to add a small metal washer to add a bit more height:

Time for the money shots:

Next I modded the original case foot.
    Here is the bottom of the original foot:

I pulled off the rubber stopper:

And ground down the plastic ring:

I know it looks ugly. I will put a piece of mesh under there or paint it.

And last but not least I finished mounting my radiator on the floor of my case.
    Here are the holes cut out for the inlet and outlet pass through:

And a pic of the radiator mounted, it is almost perfectly straight now:

Well that's a big update (for me lol). I am waiting for a few things to come in then I can finally finish the bottom panel and get this thing together...finally. Until then...

Happy Modding.

A small update before I start modding this weekend.
    This arvo I will be picking up another 2GB of RAM for my rig. I will post some pics once I get it home.
    Here is a link to the RAM I am getting:
    http://www.gskill.com/en/f2-6400cl4d-hk.html
    I will now have two of these kits.

Thanks for the comment DT, yeah it's getting there. Not much left to do now.

Well I got my RAM, made it to the store with 5 mins until closing haha. Lucky Me.
    Well Here are some pics, as promised.
    The box:

The front of the box open showing off the RAM sticks:

The sticks themselves:

I love the design on the heat spreaders (and the colour). The design is minimalistic but looks quite nice I think. The design is part of the actual heat spreader, not stuck on.
    The RAM comes with a G.Skill sticker and a slip of paper giving you URLs to the product website and with email addresses to tech support and warranty. The RAM also comes with a small aluminium case badge:

And here is a pic of the RAM installed in my system along with my existing 2GB:

Sorry for the bad pics, the box is weird and reflective and was hard to get a good pic of as was the case badge.
    Hopefully I can get some modding done tomorrow, may have another update then. Until then...

Happy Modding.

Just a minor update.
    I have ordered (need to find time to go and pick up) these items.
    2x OCZ RAM cooler (1 for my brother)
    2x Antec Tri-Cool 120mm Blue Fans
    1x TP-Link 108Mbps wireless card (to replace my D-Link 54Mbps one)

I should have these items by the end of next week. Once I get the fans I will make sure the radiator fits nicely then I can get the bottom painted and ready to go.

I also need to place another small order which is basically just cable sleeving, a few more CCFLs and a couple of fan grills.