Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Lexa

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Default Re: Project LEXA

Ok time to start my small fan mod.

Here is a pic of the 4 fans I will be modding.

The small fan is from my Thermaltake Extreme Spirit 2 North bridge cooler.

Making sure that they all still work.

A little off topic but here is my test PSU that I made a while ago thanks to Bucko’s work log. I am using this to power my fans and I will use it to test my water cooling.

To make the fans UV reactive I will be using a gel/liquid highlighter. Here is a pic with the heatsink fan UV CCFL and the highlighter.

Here is the first fan done.

Lit up and under UV light.

All of the finished fans under UV light.

Well that’s all for now. I don’t know what I will do next, probably the water cooling. Until then…

Happy Modding.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

All of those fans have blue LED's, that's why I chose the green highlighter, they compliment each other very well. As you can see by the picture of the small fan It glows quite well, that pic was taken without any UV light.
    Thanks for the rep BTW.

Very minor update:
    I may have to wait a while for my water cooling. Stocks on the Swiftech Apogee GTX CPU block and the Swiftech MCW-60 G80 adaptor plate for the 8*00 series graphics cards should arrive in about 1-2 weeks. So the only thing I can do now is order my radiator, pump, res, tubing and all the fittings. This is good in a way because I can get started on cutting holes for mounting my radiator (I intend to mount it outside of the case and pass the tubing through some holes). When the radiator is mounted I can start the disassembly of the case and start painting the interior. I should get my motherboard and Vista later next week so I will have some nice pictures for you. Until then...

Happy Modding.

Motherboard came sooner than I expected, so here are the pics.
    The box in all it's glory lol.

Here is the board and it's accessories.

And here it is under UV light.

Sorry the second and third pics are a bit blurry. The second one is through plastic and the third...well it's just really hard to take a good pic of UV light lol. I have to order the last of my water cooling and will start some more work on the weekend. Until then...

Happy Modding.

D'Oh

well, the fans look great the way you colored them! And with all the UV goodness, this is sure gonna be a good looking build. Also, keep in mind to order some more pieces for watercooling.. I ordered with some +50cm for the tubing and an extra fitting.. Never know what I will plan in the future, plus it rocks to have one shiny object to study and digitize Of course, I forgot to order some AS5.. will do so next time I order.. Just waiting for a stock update on chipset blocks at my regular and local shop.. "coming soon" LOL

The packaging of the mobo gave me an idea: look at the

lines that come from one side and end like nice circles.. reminds me of circuits and.. keyboards.. I think it is a sign.. For a nice side window etch..

Oh, did you check the vents you made for ease of flow? I mean, you can take the fan that will be mounted in the front and see at which speed it stops moving air and starts making noise only.. The mesh will reduce the airflow by a third / increase resistance > noise A 5V~7V fan can work well in those conditions, but a high-flow one.. errm..

Well, keep us updated and ... have some +rep for playing with such a nice toy

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

Thanks for the input guys.
    @dgrmkrp - The mesh I installed is fine because the fan I'm using is only a 7V fan. I also noticed the box design and was thinking of cutting it into some mesh and putting some UV green acrylic behind it. I might see if I can take a clear pic and post it up for you guys just in case you want to use it for reference. Oh and thanks for the +rep

@D1337 - It would look cool as a paint job, you could start with a white case and layer silver, grey and black lines to get a stunning effect.

Ok here are a few close up picture of the "circuits". I have decided to etch a replica (as best I can) into some UV green acrylic that has been painted black. I think this will look cool because the design will leap out of the painted surface. I will experiment with this idea tomorrow and post some pics on the progress.
    Here are the pics.

Enjoy.

That's an idea but I don't intend to etch my case window...well not just yet anyway I need to get some practice in first.
    When I got up I tried to print those pics of in black and white so I could mimic the "circuits" but my printer has no black/white option, only grey scale. Luckily It's one of those printer/copier/scanners so I will just copy the design straight off the box. I also want to enlarge the design a bit (not as small as on the box) this will allow me to do the etching slightly faster and hopefully end up more visible.

Well here is what I have done so far as designing the etch goes. This is what will be seen on the drive bays (inside of case facing rear).
    Here is the completed HDD bay design.

Sorry the picture is a bit fuzzy but you get the idea. The areas with the diagonal lines indicate where mesh will be used. I have to use mesh on the HDD bays because the front fan needs to be able to push air through the system.

The next picture is of the FDD bays.

The FDD bays have the same style as the HDD bays and will also use mesh purely because it is easier for me to etch separate plexi panels and use mesh to join them together, also I think it would look better and is keeping with my original plans

I still don't know weather to show the whole plexi panel (HDD Bays) or make the mesh come in closer to the design (FDD Bays). I think making the mesh come in closer to the design would look good but there would be some rough edges to take care of. I think I will make this decision when I actually go to put the panels together. Until then...

Happy Modding.

Here is the final of the CD drive bays.

On the top two you can see where the CD drives go. I am using mesh and will use a bit of plexi to frame where the IDE and Molex plugs will be for the drives.
    The third drive bay is empty so that is where I will be putting the etched panel.
    The forth drive bay is where the reservoir will be. Those two poorly drawn circles represent plexi I'm going to use to frame the holes I will have to cut in the mesh.
    Well I have to start on the design for the window side of the drive bays. Until then...

Happy Modding.