Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: Lexa

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Default Re: Project LEXA

Well just a very minor update, have to get back to the etching . When I got home from school today a nice package was waiting for me.

Yep that's right, my water cooling stuff.
    I received my tubing, coolant, radiator, reservoir and pump along with some fittings. All I'm waiting on is the water blocks and they should come in tomorrow or early next week along with a few other bits and pieces. I'm going to try to get the etch design finished now so I can get it all done this weekend. Until then...

Happy Modding.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

Thought I'd show you guys what the coolant looks like and also those 90 degree bends I got are UV blue so they will look great in this system.

The coolant glows a lot more but the camera is kinda crappy lol. I'm almost done with the design for the etching so I will have that up as soon as possible. Until then...

Happy Modding.

Thanks for the offer, I am having some trouble being able to read the faint lines when I copy the final stencils. When I'm done I will scan them all and you can see what you can do if you want.

I thought about UV tubing but thought it would destroy my effect. I want to be able to see the green clearly and I don't think that will be a problem lol.

Still haven't started the engraving just yet but I have done some work with my radiator.
    I needed to make a spacer to go between the radiator and the case so I could have enough room to the hoses after I pass it through the case wall. After trying various things with washes and nuts I got an idea.

Yes it's a case fan. I have decided that this will be the best and easiest way to do what I want. This is an old broken case fan that I was going to throw out anyway so it's not a huge loss if I stuff up
    Ok so here is the fan with the LED's and cable removed.

Here's the fan with the actual fan removed, just the housing left. As you can see I pretty much snapped the blades off and in the end got some tin snips to cut the supports. It's feels good to vent your anger on something breakable lol.

Here is the completed housing with all the sharp edges cut and filed.

Here it is installed on the radiator ready to go.

Here's a pic of the rear of the case marked and ready for the holes to be cut to pass the tube through to the radiator.

These are the cut and filed holes. You can see how the hole saw slipped and scraped the hole on the right but this doesn't matter because it's going to be painted over anyway.

This pic is how it will be installed. You can see how the tube fits perfectly through the hole and the old fan acts like one of those rad boxes which is an added bonus

Sorry about the blurry pic guys, the camera wouldn't focus. Well that's all I have done at the moment. It's slowly coming together and I hope to have it finished by next weekend. I still have to paint that rad box to match the case and start the etching after school. I am still waiting for my water blocks but should be receiving them within the next few days. Until then...

Happy Modding.

That's what I thought, the fan would help with the dead spot in the airflow. This hole saw is one dad had laying around from when he drilled holes in the shed for cable. It is specifically designed for steal but will cut almost anything. The size I used was 1 inch and there is still plenty room around the tubing, I need to buy some rubber grommets to finish the holes off though because the holes are still a little bit to sharp. Until then...

Happy Modding.

Well with a day off school today I thought I should really get my stuff together and do some modding.
    First on my list are the PCI slots.
    Due to an 8800GTX being extremely long (27cm) It is hard to get it into the case, you have to put it in diagonally and this will be hard with the water cooling attached and once you get it in there is about 2cm gap between the end of the PCB and the HDD cage. I have decided to trim some of the case towards the PCI slots to allow the card to slide in much more easily.

So here is the case all marked up, this cut should be fairly easy but due to it being aluminum it with warp a little.
    Here is the case after I have cut it and filled it to the correct size, in all about 10 mins work

I know at the moment it looks a bit tacky but I have ordered some fan hole molding to cover up the sharp ugly edges.
    Well thats all for now, I have to copy he final copies of the etch design and then cut the plexi to fit. After that the fun can begin. Until then...

Happy Modding.

Well I didn't get to that engraving today, I have been too pissed off. Once again this mod has been set back due to the stock on my order not coming in. Today I received an email telling me that the Swiftech Apogee GTX CPU water block that I ordered is sold out. When I ordered they were in stock but I had to pause the order to replace the blue CCFL's I ordered (BY MISTAKE) with UV ones. So I guess I just have to wait for new stock, hope it is soon.

Finally an update on the engraving.
    I think I am going to have to scrap this idea. I did a test piece and it turned out like complete crap (sorry no pictures). I think I was getting a bit ambitious with the idea and have chosen to do something much simpler. I will still keep the whole measurement and layout but will just use the plain green plexi. I am hoping to get an overall effect mush like this (water cooling, and some plexi parts).
    http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...ad.php?t=10478
    Tomorrow I hope to cut out all of the plexi but I wont get the mesh I need until my order comes in. Until then...

Happy Modding.

Well while trying to engrave straight lines I found it very difficult to keep on the lines. You need a very steady hand for this sort of detail, my other option is to get it laser cut but I don't have the cash to do so. I think it will look better as just plain Green plexi anyway. It will glow great with the UV CCFL's. I will still be using mesh but not as much as originally thought, may look kinda weird with huge gaps of mesh. I am marking the plexi now for cutting tomorrow so I will post some pics when I'm done. Until then...

Happy Modding

Well today I cut most of the plastic I will need.
    Here's a pic of all the cut plexi.

From left to right:
    Support bar cover, Bottom of HDD bay cover
    ODD cover (inside), FDD cover (inside), HDD cover top and bottom (inside)
    ODD cover (outside), FDD cover (outside), HDD cover (outside)
    By outside I mean facing the case window and by inside I mean facing the rear of the case (PSU).
    Here is a pic of the support bar cover installed (sorry no screws today, only tape):

Sadly I did not have a long enough piece of plexi to cover the whole rail so I will need to use some mesh to cover up the ends.
    Here is the rest of the plastic where it generally will be:

As you can see from the picture I didn't include the ODD covers, that's because they wont fit until I un-rivot the case.
    Here are the ODD covers:

And here is where they will be installed:

The ODD cover situated on the window side of the case need to be installed before I reconstruct the case, There is a lip on the edge of the drive bays that the plastic will slip under and the whole front of the case needs to be off to allow me to do so.
    In the third picture you may have noticed the big gaps in the plexi, this is for mesh to be installed to allow for better ventilation (especially on the inside HDD covers). Well that's about all I have at the moment. When I figure out where my pump will be mounted then I may design a plexi cover for it. I am also thinking of making one for the PSU. Until then...

Happy Modding.