Thread: Second Wind

Default Second Wind

A project I have been working on between college and the family issues many of you already know of. It is not complete, and I apologize in advance for the horrible pictures and lighting situation. This is hoped to be resolved after Christmas with the DSLR I plan to get, along with proper lighting, etc.

Second Wind is the reincarnation of an old HP 1.8Ghz Pentium M 512Mb 40Gb laptop. Its purpose is to stream dvd's from my server to play on our 32" LCD and to act as a Hulu/Fancast box.

Front/Bottom Vertical

Top/Rear Vertical

Front/Top Horizontal

Front Closeup

Rear/Top Horizontal

I've still much work to do on it, especially the back cover. There are holes for the VGA cable, Power Brick, Vent, and USB, but the lighting didn't emphasize that.

When I tear it all apart I will photograph the inside, as its been ripped out of its case, with the bottom attached. This allows the battery to be included inside easily, and no fuss with the motherboard.

I am going to be mounting it horizontally in my AV rack, but I designed it so it could sit vertically as well, without anything jumbling around on the inside.

More to come soon. I didn't include this in Project Logs as it isn't, at least not to my standards, as so many phases of its development have been missed and undocumented due to the girlfriends camera being out for repair. Can't wait for my new DSLR

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Default Re: Second Wind

this sounds like a neat idea, cant wait to see more

Default Re: Second Wind

It's mostly cleaning up the plexi, sanding, and more sanding. I have already rewired the power switch, but that could use some basic sleeving. I have to extend the headphone/audio out to the back of the case, so i can connect it to my tv via stereo/stereo connection.

The last thing I need to do is to find a mouse/keyboard for it, preferably small and wireless, but I might have to do with a USB hub, regular mouse and keyboard, and wireless adapter.

Its design was meant to be basic, so not sure where to expand on what it looks like, as it is pretty much exactly as I envisioned it. But, if I could come up with some little details to add I really would like to.