Thread: PSU Support

ATX Mental Case theshoeshineman's Avatar

Default PSU Support

Will this be enough support for Mounting my PSU

I'm not sure if you can make heads or tale of this design, but on the left there is a picture from the front and on the right is a picture from the rear of the case. (it is NOT a picture of the whole case).

On the right picture you can see 3 screws going into the back panel (2 at bottom, 1 at top).

On the left picture is where I think I'm going to have a slight problem. There is a 90 degree bar which is attached with a single rivet. This will be supporting the whole of the rear of the PSU. Because it's a 90degree bar it will have a bit of strength to it but even still???

I wanted to put a bracket underneath for the PSU to rest on but because of the design of the case I can not have anything attached to the side of the case.
    Visit my website: http://djcassar.com
    Scratch build: The Cube
    Sure we would all love "real friends", but honestly whats the chances of that happening?

Default Re: PSU Support

Forgot to add, it is a bit smaller than your normal PSU.

Here it is sitting on top of a normal sized PSU.

And there are no other screw holes other than the 5 shown.
    Sure we would all love "real friends", but honestly whats the chances of that happening?

I'd go ahead with it. The PSU will actually become a load-bearing member to some degree. (I'm assuming that PSU isn't filled with lead shot, and that your angle stock is indeed metal of some kind, not bent acrylic or something.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Is you need any old parts or scrap pieces of aluminum, let me know. I have a case that has the correct cutout for your small power supply. It also has a removable micro ATX motherboard tray. If you're interested, just shoot me a PM.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

Well I've already made the frame and the angle bar to support the back will be made from a scrap left over bit. It is 1.6mm thick but it is VERY strong.

I have tried to rip two pieces of metal apart from each other which were joined by a single pot rivet and couldn't do it so I'm guessing a power supply won't strain it too much.

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

The big ones rest on the back of computer cases fine, so I can't imagine that you'll be having any problems there, with it riveted together. I like the design; good luck with it.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

Yeah, I have noticed that in the past on quite a few cases so I wasn't sure because the PSU's arn't the lightest things around.

You have put my fears at ease!