Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Project: Blue Shift

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Default Re: Project: Blue Shift

A single 240mm rad would be sufficient enough for cooling to start with, even if you get both rads and run them as a single loop you will get really good temps.

The one thing I am worried about is the fan configuration. You shouldn't have a problem if the fans have a high enough cfm but by using such large fans you aren't really pushing the air through the rad fins, you are just swamping the radiator with air. Due to the rads not getting a strong direct air flow through the fins you may get worse temps.

As for the pump. The D5 is a very good pump, especially if you get the variable speed version. The DDC is more versatile mainly due to it's size and abundance of aftermarket tops offering various input/output configurations and reservoirs. I do think the D5 has a slightly higher flow rate so for a single loop it will cope slightly better then the DDC but the loop won't be that large anyway so either pump will be fine. As for mounting the pump, it's purely up to you. The pump will function in any orientation, you just need to make sure you do the plumbing right, each pump has a designated input and output, just keep that in mind.

If you did want to save a bit of cash get the DDC and get a res top for it, in most cases it will be a bit cheaper then a dedicated pump and res setup, plus it makes it easier when filling the loop (due to the fluid being added directly to the pump, there will be no dry running). The only downside of the pump/res combo is the capacity of the res but the pump will be able to push the fluid through the rads quickly enough to keep it quite cool.

Personally I would consider getting 120mm fans for the rads or make a shroud for the rads out of alu, that way you will get more direct air flow through the radiators without having to get new fans. As for the pump I would personally get a DDC with a res top, the versatility, size and relatively low noise rating wins every time for me.

Hope that helps .
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

Thanks for the excellent info. you have been alot of help.

For the external 240 i was going to built a shroud for my 2x120 rear exhaust fans and mount the radiator to that. so even though the fans would be mounted inside the case they would be pushing air straight through the rad. the top mounted one however might be a concern as i would be using the 200 mm fan and there could be a chance that the air would just flow around it as oposed to through it. that one i might need to mount two 120s to it to get the air flowing through it properly. but im thinking right now im just gona get 1 rad to get this all up and running. i'll see what the temps are now and then as i start over clocking the system more (I had to reset my 4890 to factory due to the heat issue and my 940 is only at 3.4 ghz. i want to get it to atleast 3.8. and it would be awesome to break 4ghz.) But that kind of OC might be better suited for when i can afford a dual loop.

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

I've got a 240 swiftech rad for sale if you need one

Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    I've got a 240 swiftech rad for sale if you need one
    which model and how much lol?

this one:
    http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ducts_id=22814

$25 shiped in the US. it is used and has some signs of wear, but doesnt leak and no broken fins

it comes with 2 1/2" barb fittings too (not sure who makes them)

Thx for the offer but i think I'll pass for now, I'm not to fond of the radiators with the built in res.

Ok So i have alot of new ideas on where to take this mod once i start working on the water cooling set up. One thing that needs to be done is i need to readdress the wiring. here is what im planning

The picture is crap but it gets the message across lol. (phone camera and 5 mins in photoshop lol)

The plan is to relocate as much wiring as possible so its out of sight (Red circles). Anything that cannot be moved will be resleaved in a combination of black and blue sleaving (Blue boxes. Sleaving will be in a roughly 2 to 1 ratio of black to blue). Then anything that cant be sleaved (or doesn't look good sleaved) will be covered (green boxes)

RED: First im going to move the wire bundle from the top panned to a hole i will cut in the side of the drive cages. Next when i water cool the two middle fans and cages will no longer be there so that wiring will disappear. Next I'm gona reroute the sata Data & Power cables so then come up from under the drives as opposed to the hole where everything else is crammed through.

BLUE:
    ATX, PCIE, 4pin, SATA, and additional mother board PCI-E connection will all be reseaved

GREEN: Depending how the sata cables and that mess going through the first pass through look afterwords i will build a cover to hide them. Additionally i have my reservations about the 4pin and Molex connection on the mobo and i think they may need to be covered up as well. but we wont know until we get there.

The first of my water cooling supplies will be arriving beginning of next week so first thing i need to do is find a temporary home for my system while i start modding process up again.

no prob. lovin the ideas!

Just flip the HDDs around 180 degrees, they you don't need to worry about the cables .

Quote Originally Posted by The boy 4rm oz View Post
    Just flip the HDDs around 180 degrees, they you don't need to worry about the cables .
    thanks for the idea but i had already thought about that, there are two problems with it. One i don't know if its possible with how i have my 1200 set up. The drive cages have to be able to slide out with the drives in them so i will have to come up with a creative way to route the cabling in side of it so it wouldn't snag and prevent the cage from sliding out. And regardless I'll have to rebuild the sata power cable and probably get right angle data cables to prevent them from interfering with the fan at the front. Secondly i'll have to come up with something else to do with the DVD drive, my plan now is to add a 4th connector to the sata cable when i rebuild it and run all of them off a single cable.

and on that note does anyone know how to determine witch rails your connectors are running off of on your psu. I have a zalman 850hp with 6 rails. and i want to make sure that when i do rebuild that cable that i'm not overloading the rail its attached to.

Ah ok, I understand, I had similar issues when I was recently screwing around with my brothers PC.

As for the rails on the PSU it should tell you in the Instruction Manuel, it does for my Antec Neo 550w PSU. But that may be because it is a modular PSU and it wants both the PCI 6pin connectors to run off of separate rails.