Thread: GPS system

Does all his own stunts mittelmeier's Avatar

Default GPS system

I'm looking for a GPS system for my new job. I'm looking to spend around $100. I'm found some refurbished Tom Toms, Magellans, and Garmins but I didn't know if any of them are a lot better than the other. Do any of them offer free map updates? Any other useful information would be helpful. Thanks in advance guys.

Default Re: GPS system

Almost all new smart phones pack GPS capability. I have an HTC diamond, and after a quick unlock, the GPS works great! Live Maps, Google Maps, and Tom tom (costs $ though) can all be used.

If you have a smartphone, check into that first.. maybe you can save yourself $100.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Does all his own stunts mittelmeier's Avatar

I didn't know that smart phones could work like that for navigational GPS. I don't have a smart phone though and I think I'd have a hard time convincing the wife I need one instead of the GPS. Although it would have more functions. Thanks for the info Luke, when I look for my next phone I'll make sure to get one with nice GPS function but for now I'll still need a GPS for the work van.

Of the 3, I'd recommend the Garmin. We have 3 in the family (2 garmin and 1 magellan). The Nuvi's are good but watch out for the ones that have the flip up antenna. It can fail after a year. I have a Magellan, it's good but the software is not as easy to use as the Garmin. TomTom - I've used in Europe, a couple years back. At that time, the maps were not on par with the others in the US but better in Europe. Consumer Reports recently did a review of GPS units, I'll post details if I find it.

I'm not aware of any that offer free map updates but most update via USB now with a CD which can be found on ebay.