Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Knight Rider CWC

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: Knight Rider CWC

Ok I first started by washing down the part to be painted. Then I didn't want to paint. The reason being that I want need to find a new way to paint. I have been banned from painting inside the house so I must only paint out side. But the Canadian weather is hard to deal with the hardly ever have the nice 20C temps. Well its either 40C in Toronto or -40C. L:lol: L

So I remebered I watch a show the other night with Chip Foose on it. They were under a dead line and after painting the Baked the car. I thought it was to finishing drying fast. So I started. Before I knew it I was done. The hole thing only took me about 1hr. Thats about 3 thin coats every 10min. Mine was more like every 15min. The out side temp was like -2C. Then I let it dry in side for less then 20min. Then into the oven for 10min at 170F then 20min at 180F.

For the knob it was the same time but I only put then in the oven at 170F and I was watching close cause I didn't want the plastic to melt. Also I need to let it harded when it came out because the plastitc was soft. This new way was fun and cut the painting time by alot. Try it guys I think you will love it. Also I found by bakeing in the oven it got rit of the freezing effect of painting it extreme cold temps.

Well enjoy the pics.

Thinking food. I ate about 3 donuts when thinking of a new way to try paint.

3 coats later. 170F 10min.

All done now. She is a pretty red.

This is why mirror are so cool. Every angle of your work you can see.

Money shot. This why I mod. I saw this in my head when I was drawing. When its done it feels so good when it comes right of the paper, and its just like you planed.

Knobs

They use to be silver. But now there "Knight Rider Red" LOL.

nice

Anodized

I love the mirrors. I think that they will make the interior look super high tech by showing the mirror image of all the components and wiring. This gave me an idea about that old trick when you have 2 mirrors facing each other and the reflection looks infinite. I wonder if there is a cool way to do something like that with lights. I don't know if anyone has already mentioned that further up in the worklog, but if they did, then it is definitely a good idea hahaha. Anyways, awesom job so far. Can't wait to see more.
    I'm not very smart!

ATX Mental Case

Thanks Vaantal. I just keep trucking and trying to get something done every week. I think I am going to have to make to more plates for the inside. So I can make the back frame were the pci slots are mirrored and also the front one were the drive bays are. But only from the inside.

Bro... you do know that by baking paint in an oven, you are releasing toxic gases from the paint into the oven, right?

Please tell me you are not cooking in that oven too?

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by Tech-Daddy
    Bro... you do know that by baking paint in an oven, you are releasing toxic gases from the paint into the oven, right?

Please tell me you are not cooking in that oven too?
    Lol

ATX Mental Case

Well the oven has a opening at the top to let the air out through one of the stove tops. Then I have a fan over the oven clearing the air outside. Also I leave the paint it only for a max od 30min. I check the parts many time during that time and let the air out often.

ATX Mental Case

Fresh out of the oven come and get it folks. I just finished the mobo and it looks so nice. I love the reflection on the mirror of the mobo tray.

At 180F. Nice and toasty.

Drive bay you have a new brother. He is also orange.

I love this colour.

Mobo in place with the other frame parts.

I love this shot. The reflection of the mobo is so sweet.

On other news I have primed the back frame piece. But this piece will need more filler and more sanding.

LOOKS AMAZING MARQUEE!!

Wonderful mod so far, can't wait to see this baby finished!!

I love that color, you are doing a great job!!!