Thread: Laptop is dead... sort of

Default Laptop is dead... sort of

Yesterday after turning off my laptop (due to a power surge), I found I couldn't turn my laptop back on, due to the power switch not seeming to work. Today I pull apart the laptop to discover that the same switches used for my track pad (which died ages ago) are used for the power button. The problem I'm having is I need to find 3 of these tactile switches, but they're small. I'm wondering if anyone has any idea where to get such switches? (Not ebay) I only need 3 and I can repair my laptop, I'll try to provide dimensions when I can find a ruler.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Default Re: Laptop is dead... sort of

try maplins (UK) Radioshack(US) or other electrical outlet, if you can rmeove it take one along with you as a refrence and ask

edit:

I forgot to ask, can you turn it on if you short the contacts with tweasers or something? just to ensure it is the button thats the issue?

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

Because of the way the laptop is built, I had to remove the heatsinks, I might be able to reattach them and link up the power adapter to try it, but that will have to be later today.

EDIT: After applying a screw driver to the power switch contacts, the LEDs turned on so I removed the battery to turn it back off. I can confirm it is the switch. DSE don't really have what I need, but I have a supplier that most likely has what I need.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Quote Originally Posted by XcOM View Post
    try maplins (UK)?...
    I hate maplin...they are very expensive for what they sell...ebuyer, aria, overclockers and ebay FTW

I've got the madcow, what's your excuse? Bopher's Avatar

Switches like these?

"Technical neglect is one of the worst kinds of neglect, won't you sponsor an octal or adsl2 card so they can someday grow up into big capable adsl2+ cards? random celebrity does."

Quote Originally Posted by deadevil13 View Post
    I hate maplin...they are very expensive for what they sell...ebuyer, aria, overclockers and ebay FTW
    i admit maplins are expencive for hardware, but for electrical equipment there very good, and i've been in there a few times with problems and they guy at the back helped me figure a soloution

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!