Thread: New computer time!

Default New computer time!

OK guys...I FINALLY got the wife to OK the purchase of a new computer after 5 friggen years! So here goes....the one we currently have is an AMD 1.6 CPU, with a whopping 1 gig of DDR ram, and a HUGE 128 AGP vid card..LOL!!! Yeah i know its basically a childs play toy, but its no longer serving what i want it to do. SO...im getting my tax returns back, and i will have about 1000 bucks to drop on a new comp. ive been looking at tigerdirect, but with all the new firmware upgrades that have hit the market, i feel like im not informed enough to make a valid decision on which tower/parts to purchase. And this is where i need you guys help...basically im looking to get the best bang for my buck, as i wont be able to upgrade for probably a few years. I know i want at LEAST a dual core, preferably a quad core, with at least one GOOD vid card if not two. prolly should go with a minimum of 2 gigs of ram. I figure i can cut some of the cost down by using the HDD i currently have in this tower as its a 250gig HDD...but as for the rest, i gotta buy new...now as far as the case goes i dont care about looks as this will eventually go into the wife's mod and be fully encased....so no need for super looks...just gotta be super functional.

Any ideas / links? I would LOVE to get schooled in this as much as possible before i get my money so i can make a good purchase
    Not all who mod are modders...

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Default Re: New computer time!

Seriously, all you need to do is go to a chain store and buy and HP or something and add a nice video card to it. At Office Depot they're selling an HP with a Q8200, 8GB of RAM, and a 600+GB HD for like $800. A decent card and you'd be rockin'
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatSatan View Post
    Seriously, all you need to do is go to a chain store and buy and HP or something and add a nice video card to it. At Office Depot they're selling an HP with a Q8200, 8GB of RAM, and a 600+GB HD for like $800. A decent card and you'd be rockin'
    Well, yes and no. If you make sure said HP is ATX-standard, cut a hole or two in the case, and replace the power supply before you try upgrading the video card, that's good advice (I assume Grizzly isn't looking to overclock anything).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

Good deal, but you run into the same problem - the PSU's likely a steaming pile. Not your problem, though, assuming IBuyPower honors their warranty.

On top of that, the case requires a bit of work to fit expansion cards in down the road, particularly full-length cards if you decide to upgrade to a newer high-end video card. Furthermore, to upgrade your RAM, you have to get a pair of larger modules and find your existing pair of 1GB chips a new home somewhere else, since the board has only two slots - and you may well want more, since it comes with Vista.

That being said, if you can live with these limitations, that's not a bad deal at all, since there's no mail-in rebates involved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Wow, what a deal! $659 (was $1400+)

Processor: Quad Core Q6600 (2.4GHz)
    Memory: 3GB
    Hard drive: 500 GB SATA 7200 rpm
    Optical drive: DVD-RW Dual Layer
    Media reader: Integrated
    Additional features: NTSC TV tuner
    Operating system: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
    GeForce: 8400 GS (256 MB on board)
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440