Thread: LED matrix-covered computer case

Default LED matrix-covered computer case

This might have already been thought of, but has anyone looked into what it would take to completely cover a case in an LED matrix like similar (but smaller in size) to the ones used for those massive LED TV screens in stadiums (and Times Square)?

I'm guessing you'd have to have some sort of separate power supply to power them all and something to deal with the heat buildup on and around the case from the resistors heating up, but I'd think that you would be able to pipe a monitor input into it and make your case whatever color you liked, or watch a movie even while walking around the case.

I don't even know if they have any LED matix that small though. Most I have seen would look like a bunch of boxes containing LEDs stacked together and would probably be too blurry to put anything recognizable on it other than one or two colors.

Just a thought...any other ideas?

-- Jabyaeye

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Default Re: LED matrix-covered computer case

Quote Originally Posted by Jabyaeye View Post
    Just a thought...any other ideas?
    Yes, in fact.

Nobody said you had to use pre-made panels.

You could just do something like this

LED matrix covered case behind mirrored plexi... now that's a sexy thought.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

True. You could make them from scratch. i just figured it would be easier to use pre-made panels due to cost and time.

I was actually thinking about something like this:

You can actually get an 8in x 8in single color LED matrix for pretty cheap. This place has several here for under US$2: http://www.futurlec.com/LEDMatrix.shtml

Of course, you could alternatively purchase and disassemble something like this too:
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/lights/9380/

Haha. That's the same video on I watched on TV that got me thinking about using them on the exterior of a case.

That particular setup seems a bit bulky to be mounted to the side of a case though. Each module the guy was installing looked to be around 3-4 inches thick.

There should be something out there that is smaller, flatter, and more efficient that would be more conducive to covering a case with.

With the small size requirement, it seems a DIY LED matrix would be out of the question. Of course if you just used a single color, then it might not be so bad. But if you were wanting video quality, then my guess is you'd have to go with something pre-made.

Just my thoughts...
    Last edited by Jabyaeye; 01-02-2009 at 01:50 PM. Reason: typos :)

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

The side of the computer could be used at the casing, putting the bulk of the panels inside of the case.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jabyaeye View Post
    With the small size requirement, it seems a DIY LED matrix would be out of the question.
    All it takes is some clever engineering. If I wanted to, I could probably make LED panels where they're only, oh, less than an inch thick, but the controller wouldn't be onboard.

If it can be made professionally, it can be made in your garage. Sometimes you just need some special tools (you wouldn't, really, to make a LED matrix), but you can sure do it. Will it cost more? Probably. Will it take longer? Probably. Will it be exactly to your spec and you get the bragging rights? Damn right.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"