Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Would you do this?

Default Would you do this?

I've been thinking of getting an Acer Aspire One, selling my Macbook, and taking the difference in money and putting it towards taking the girlfriend/S.O somewhere nice for a weekend when I ask her that question.

I love my Macbook, but to be honest the ONLY things I do on it is surf the web, and coding. The savings in weight and size would be an enormous help for college. I've just been torn on this because it's been the best laptop I've owned.

Thoughts?

Default Re: Would you do this?

being a mac hater toss that junk out. congrats and good luck for when you pop the question.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Thanks for the support.

I'm still not sure about the selling it and buying the AAO. With the hundred dollars in giftcards useable at walmart, it would cost me $250. Thats with a 120Gb hdd. Or I could go through tigerdirect and get the 8GB ssd, with 8Gb sd card version for 299-50 cd, +shipping. I'd prefer the SSD I think, not sure though. I guess its a question of when its all said and done, which is worth more to me, keeping 100$ Walmart GC's or 50$ TD GC to use on other stuff.

Does anyone have an AAO? Opinions on it? I know reviews are pretty good of it for that price range.

I wish I could find one in a store to really play around with. All the walmarts have them in a damn plexi case.

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

I'd look into some Toshiba laptops. My uncle just got one and it is amazing. It wasn't very expensive and it also has some sweet speakers and I think a dual-core CPU, too.

But yeah, I'm not sure how much their low-mid range laptops cost, though.

Good luck with popping (almost put "pooping" o0) the question, dude.

Well I don't think she would appreciate me "pooping" the question lmmfao.

The reason I was looking into a netbook is that I don't do much at all on the laptop as mentioned. I've got two laptops converted into desktops. If either were able to be returned to laptop form I would just do that and deal with the bulk. But can't.

If I got something different it would have to be smaller and lighter than the macbook, as I've got a stainless steel bar in my chest which makes most things difficult, including carrying a backback with laptop and books to college. Even with the macbook, on days i need the laptop, I'm forced to ditch the books and many of the notebooks.

I've tried the rollybag route and that just sent a spear through my confidence and ego going to college like that.

I can suffice with the macbook size or less.

Local laser guy! Collinstheclown's Avatar

I just got an Eee 1000, and it's fantastic! Cost $400 on newegg.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834220369

-CollinstheClown

The EEE 1000 seems very nice, but the same one is 600 on TD, and 450 for the hdd model.

The reason I was going for the AAO was that I can get it for 250ish from either walmart or TD after giftcards. Anything really more than the 250$ cuts out the profits from selling the Macbook.

If I'm only going to make $200ish by going with a higher model netbook, I might as well just save a bit extra between now and the trip, and have a better laptop.

And to clarify, I'm not strapped for money, else I wouldn't be asking her that question. Although fwiw she wants a 2 year-ish engagement anywho.

I had just dropped cash on a DSLR, and was thinking about a sacrifice in order to better finance the trip without cutting into other funds. As in, at the end I haven't spent, or lost any money, but still have a functional tool for school.

Or I could go another route and try craigslist for pc's I haven't touched or booted more than once a month to screw around with. Those include:

P4 2.6Ghz, 512Mb Ram, 40Gb hdd, fx5200
    Celeron 2.93 Ghz 512mb Ram, 40Gb hdd, ati 9250
    Backup 1u P3 server, the usual
    Unused 3u Dual P3 server, with multiple 10k 9Gb scsi's
    E6300, 2Gb Ram, 100Gb hdd, sli 7600's
    And I know I'm missing a couple I haven't touched in a while.

They feel like children, as many of you know, which is why I've kept them. But do they get utilized, no, and I could prob make some decent cash off of them. I have options. I could just finance it straight up. But was trying to weigh the options I had, but didn't want to litter the first post with so much though, as I'm sure everyone knows, I put a lot into each post, and have been trying to condense that lol.

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

The Aspire One looks like a solid choice and I was going to get one until I saw my Eee at Best Buy (bite me) for $350. Newegg has a 120gb Aspire One for like $350, so you can get a good deal there if nowhere else.

Also, Good luck with all your relationship-stuff. =]

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Vampires are also allergic to bulldozers BerticusPryme's Avatar

I like macbooks but I would go for the aspire one deal myself. they are really nice. I use one at a shop i work in part time to help them out and it is a lifesaver honestly. Iw ould also look into cleaning out the storage to. My wife convinced me to sell soem of my spare stuff I ahd laying around and we made like and extra 1k for christmas shopping and bills. If you do decide to get rid of one of the servers Iw ould be happy to take it from you