This is my first mod. It is not the most elegant or the most challenging that has been posted on this site. I posted 2 designs here about a year ago but ran out of time to get started on them. With the need of a file server being my top priority I decided to just convert my current box into a server using Unbuntu and just find a simple case to do some light mods over time to. I picked the case up from a friend who started to etch the word Battlefield on to the side then lost interest.
So over the last few months I have been slowly (very slowly IE: Slower than a snail) moding on the case and living with my laptop being my only general purpose computer. Last night I finished all of the mods I had planned. I did not take photos of the actual modding as I am a professional photographer and the last thing I want to do at night is take more photos. To be honest I had originally planned to just throw in some led fans and 2 UV cffl and forget it, but as time passed and the modding bug bit I added more and more mods to the plan. So Below I am just going to showcase those mods. Sorry for no proper work log.
Here is how the case started.
The first thing I did was add EL wire to the inside of the front mesh. I used hot glue to hold it in place until I used up the whole 5 feet. Luckily 2 “layers” side by side took the whole 5 feet. This took around am hour because I made sure to keep the EL wire close together so it looked like 1 solid piece. I would glue a spot and after it cooled I would move onto the next glue spot an inch away.
Here is a close up of the wire behind the mesh.
And a shot of the wiring
Then I added a simple audio port since this case lacked one on the front.
The next thing on my list was to add some LEDs for spot lighting.
I added 2 to the PSU.
And with the lights off
They project green spots onto the back of the dvd drive.
And 3 to the front of the case right above the 2 80mm intake fans. These will project green spots on various parts of the mobo and its components.
And with the lights off
Then I decided I would like to finish the etching on the case window. My friend had already started to etch Battlefield on the window but gave up after the B. So with all the green the case has I settled on BIOHAZARD. So some quick work in photoshop and I had a image to print out. I also found a vector of the biohazard symbol and printed it. These are sized for printing on a reagular sheet of copy paper so
Then after about an hour I had this.
How it’s wired
The last thing I did was stealth the only optical drive that was going to stay in the computer. The white drive will be removed and the stock “plug” put back in its place.
And here are some more shots of the case.
Thanks for reading and I would love to hear any and all feedback. I will be attempting a full blown scratch build in the future but for now this will have to do.