View Poll Results: Which Netbook would you choose?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • MSI Wind

4 36.36%
  • Asus Eee

7 63.64%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Netbook Lineup - Help me choose?

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Default Re: Netbook Lineup - Help me choose?

Quote Originally Posted by Zephik View Post
    Does anyone know what graphics processor its running? It's kind of funny that they don't list it. Not that it really matters or anything, just curious.
    If it's the one with the atom,I believe it has the same chipset and integrated graphics as the desktop version. The desktop version has the Intel GMA 950. My friend had that on his laptop, and it would play games ok, but not great.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

I don't think you can go wrong with either, but I love my little EEE. It is a 701 running Linux. The keys are a bit cramped, but it is perfect as a second computer for use on the go.

Just my two cents...

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zephik View Post
    Just as a side note/rant; I was going to get the Dell Studio 17 laptop, but I got turned down for credit from both Dell and my bank. Not sure how I'm supposed to build credit if nobody will give me any! ><

Buy a car or get a 500 dollar credit card. Interest for a car loan will rape you though but if you pay it off quickly everything is peachy.

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Or you could get a store credit card, like what Kohl's has. I'm not sure about the mastercards or Visas that you can use anywhere, though.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

I got rid of my floppy disks Xpirate's Avatar

I would squirrel the money up and pay cash.

You do not have to get some kind of credit card to gain a credit score. You are building your credit score every time you pay your bills on time.

I just had a talk with my boy-in-law who helped my sister go into over 80,000 dollars into credit card debt. He filed for bankruptcy because he would never be able to pay that off with his income. This is why I preach to everyone to pay cash. The boy-in-law lacks the level of discipline required to manage his money.

I have never owed more than $8,000. Most of the time I have been completely debt free. But I had no problem qualifying for a home lone when the time came because of all the rent and bills I've paid.

Back on the main topic: I like both netbooks. One of them has a larger screen and the other one has a larger battery and more hard space.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Good news, my friend bought a new laptop (dell studio 17, its freaking sweet!) so I get to "keep" his old laptop for now. So I've decided to save the money up and buy a studio 17 as well. Once I get my tax returns I'll only need about a hundred bucks for the basic model ($700), but I want a dedicated gpu and a backlit keyboard so I might have to save up a little longer to get what I want ($900).

Maybe I'll ask for an Eee for my bday in may.

Maybe there will be an Asus EEE Ion by then.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

There already is an Asus N10 with nVidia 9300M graphics, and around the same size as the EeePC.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834220385
    Coffee is love, coffee is life.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

There already is an Asus N10 with nVidia 9300M graphics, and around the same size as the EeePC.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834220385
    Very nice, although a bit on the pricey end for a netbook with an Atom processor. I'd rather get the Dell M1330 with the 2.0Ghz C2D. Its a bit larger (13" screen vs 10" screen) but its also technically a bit thinner (1.3" vs 1.4").

Then again, with matched specs, the M1330 is like $400 more than the N10. So if you look at it price wise then the N10 is a good deal. Although the M1330 could run circles around it. So I guess if you have no budget, then get the M1330. But if you are on a budget then get the N10. ...and if you aren't looking for a desktop replacement, then I'd say go for one of the cheaper netbooks.

Anyways, I don't really like where they put the fingerprint reader. To me that just seems like a really stupid place to put it? I also don't really like how the battery sticks out the back, it kind of ruins the sexiness factor for me, but thats pretty minor considering the battery life you are getting.

Otherwise, the specs on that netbook look great aside from the Atom processor. For the price I would of liked to see something a bit more powerful in the cpu department. To me It seems like it would kind of bottleneck the point in having a dedicated gpu. Then again, maybe not? or maybe only slightly? Hmm.

I recently bouht an Acer Aspire One (The pearl white one! ) It never ceases to impress me. It's wicked fast, and on sale at Newegg or TigerDirect for $320. (I think) t has a 6-cell battery, and has given me about 3 hours of on-time.
    lso has very little to no bloatware and i wouldn't change my mind if i could've done it again
    “An intelligent hell would be better than a retarded paradise”
    -Victor Hugo