Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9800GT question

Default 9800GT question

Greetings all. I have a question regarding 9800 GT's (specifically the MSI 9800GT). I was going to email them with the question, but you have to jump through hoops in order just to do that.

Anyways, I just got a nice 9800GT with 512mb of memory on it. Unfortunately the manual says that I need a minimum of a 400 watt power supply with a minimum of 26A on the 12V line. The power supply I have is a 500 watt Enermax with 22A PER 12V line (there are two 12V lines on it). The two lines combined has around 32A or 34A. Is this 26A minimum for the combined 12V lines? or does the power supply actually have to have at least 26A per 12V line. The darn instructions are never clear anymore.

I am starting to think that it in fact does to have 26A per line as graphically my machine is starting to get a bit flakey. I have tried backing off drivers and even my xorg-server but still no luck.

Thanks a lot, I figure someone in here would know the answer instead of having to give out a ton of personal information just to ask MSI.
    http://images.gruntville.com/casegallery/album299 Gort, it's built in an ammo box!
    http://www.x-mail.net/bigfoot/ <- my random stuff

Default Re: 9800GT question

Ya know, now that I look at it, maybe this question should be moved into the "Computer ain't workin'" section. Sorry about that!
    http://images.gruntville.com/casegallery/album299 Gort, it's built in an ammo box!

Run 3D Mark Vantage, if it crashes, there is a problem. I'd say combined lines since I'm using an MSI 9800GTX+ on a dual rail 850W PSU and it's running fine.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

I disagree with combined.. I say 26a each. That's my professional wild ass guess, but it makes the most sense to me. If it's flakey, that would explain it.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

I say combined, but if you're having problems, trying a better power supply definitely wouldn't do any harm, except maybe to your wallet.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

it's combined.

Quote Originally Posted by crenn View Post
    Run 3D Mark Vantage, if it crashes, there is a problem. I'd say combined lines since I'm using an MSI 9800GTX+ on a dual rail 850W PSU and it's running fine.
    i agree and am doing the same thing. though i have 5 rails of 12v.

mine is 68amps combined. (24amp per rail)
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

When they say how many watts the PSU, it's just a generalization, and can vary with between different power supplies, and it can with all of the components in the computer, really.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

Yea, I am probably going to end up getting a new power supply. I haven't found many that can push at least 26A per 12V line. I know Enermax has one that will - plus it seems to be getting good reviews from all of the hardware review sites.

I know that the power supply requirements are just generalizations (probably why most now give an amperage requirement instead of just voltage now, just so you can get a better idea). I am pushing quite a bit of hardware with this one as it is so I would not be surprised if it was power related at all.

Unfortunately I cannot give 3D mark a try because I am running Linux, although most openGL applications are giving me grief right now, so I think that is a good enough test.

If it's flaky, give another PSU a try. Otherwise, I'd bet on it being fine - the thing doesn't take up anywhere close to 26a on its own, it's assuming that anything that you'd be running it on will need at least 25a between all of its +12v rails. The CPU, for example, probably isn't on the same rail as the PCI Express connector/s, so if the card needs ten amps to itself (that's probably a bit high, but it's a fair guess, as it's a newer nVidia card) and you don't have a really high-powered system otherwise (couple hard drives, single CPU), you should be all right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyPlushroom View Post
    If it's flaky, give another PSU a try. Otherwise, I'd bet on it being fine - the thing doesn't take up anywhere close to 26a on its own, it's assuming that anything that you'd be running it on will need at least 25a between all of its +12v rails. The CPU, for example, probably isn't on the same rail as the PCI Express connector/s, so if the card needs ten amps to itself (that's probably a bit high, but it's a fair guess, as it's a newer nVidia card) and you don't have a really high-powered system otherwise (couple hard drives, single CPU), you should be all right.
    Haha, that's the issue, I do have a rather high powered system. I'm going to get a new power supply once I get some more money. For now I am just going to put my 7600 back in to prevent anything from being strained too hard. I will let you all know the outcome though! Thanks for the help.