I tape my wallet to my cat.

A big old Tease Apparently DonT-FeaR's Avatar

Default Re: Neptune's Trident

looking lots better.. i like it ... its really sweet and it fits in nicely
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    you tease!

Modding the World, One Case at a Time Boddaker's Avatar

Got some actual work done on the front! Was so anxious to start working on it, I neglected to take
    pics of the cutting. But that's just basic stuff anyways... measure, mark, measure, cut.

After cutting and filing the edges, I proceeded to bend the bottom tips of the trident. Looking around the garage
    for a suitable object to bend around, I spotted the post of my drill press, and saw how easy it was to dismantle lol.
    Moments later, I had it in the vise and beating the trident into submission.

The result. The surface is a bit weathered, but it's nothing a good sanding won't cure. I'm just focusing on the
    smooth curve for now.

Positioning it onto the case it looks to be about right. This will give me about a 1/2" space between
    the trident and the mesh.

So I marked some holes and drilled them out.

Screwed it right into the mesh.

I removed it again and cut the top off level with the bottom of the drive bays, then drilled a 3/4" hole
    for the power button. After a good sanding and clean-up, it looks like this:

I will be adding a piece of blue transparent acrylic behind the trident as well as a short tube to cover the
    back side of the switch. Also have to drill some small holes to accommodate the pwr and hd leds.

More to come!
    Honey Roasted Peanuts Ingredients: Salt; Artificial honey roasting agents; Pressed peanut sweepings.

wow... looks sweet... you are a genius man... a modding god... not just cuz of this update but everything ive seen you do... reggage...

EDIT: wow... that sounds gay
    you tease!

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Front trident really does look good. I was wondering how you measure out for those bends, I can't quite get my head around it lol (pardon the pun). I am thinking of making a rounded edged case for my next build and want to make it Silverstone style from a single piece of alu and want to get it right the first time.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

Thanks Jeff... and that didn't sound gay, until you said it sounded gay lol!

Quote Originally Posted by The boy 4rm oz View Post
    Front trident really does look good. I was wondering how you measure out for those bends, I can't quite get my head around it lol (pardon the pun). I am thinking of making a rounded edged case for my next build and want to make it Silverstone style from a single piece of alu and want to get it right the first time.
    For those bends, I didn't actually measure anything. I just started bending the ends around the pipe and kept checking its position on the front until I got the center of the trident about where I needed it, then went back and straightened the ends to give me a flat mounting surface. I figured I could just cut off any excess if I needed to, but it turned out to be about right. Then once that was done, I just lopped off the top to fit.

For your case, just make sure you leave enough material on the ends so that after the bends you can just cut them down as needed. That way you dont have to compensate for the metal stretching from all the bending.
    Honey Roasted Peanuts Ingredients: Salt; Artificial honey roasting agents; Pressed peanut sweepings.

Thanks for the info, I never thought of bending it first and cutting off the excess later lol. 1 More question, how this was that alu you used, is it pretty strong? I was thinking of using 3-4mm for my case, you think that's strong enough?

3-4mm alumi... will be plenty strong enough... imho
    you tease!

Yeah but you can get soft and hard alu, thickness needed really depends how sturdy the alu is to start with. The alu base on LEXA is 3mm but with the hole I cut for the rad plus the pressure of the feet it bows inwards into the case slightly, a minor design falt on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by The boy 4rm oz View Post
    Thanks for the info, I never thought of bending it first and cutting off the excess later lol. 1 More question, how this was that alu you used, is it pretty strong? I was thinking of using 3-4mm for my case, you think that's strong enough?
    I'm re-using alu from the original windowed lian li side panel, and it's thickness is .08, which I believe equates to 1.5mm. It's plenty strong, so it must be a harder aluminum than what you used on Lexa.