Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fish Tank Media PC

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Default Re: Fish Tank Media PC

I guess I've been lucky; I've never chipped an athlon xp or Pentium III.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

So I was wondering. I am going to water cool the water cooling system as we already know. How much GPH should I be looking at for the submersible pump that is moving the fish tank water over the res/radiator? Normal water cooling pumps are around 132GPH. Whats the lowest I can go without having the thing overheat? What I am finding online, is around 80GPH. I am just wondering if this would be enough or if I should just get a fish tank power head from work and make it into what i need.

Current projects:
    Project:8core
    ON HOLDKarbon Kreation
    ON HOLDFish Tank Media PC

ATX Mental Case

I would be careful. The biggest Issue I see is that Fish don't like warm waters, So water above 82 degrees F isn't good. I would try to get either a marineland power head, or pump designed for the fish tank world. there can't be any oils or anything if this is going to be in contact with the fish. Just go to a Pet store and see what they have.

Mike
    Whatever can light up, should light up brightly and in many different colors.

Actually, you shouldnt need very much water movement over the radiator. Water is much more effecient at removing/conducting heat then air. Just think of it how human body heat is effected. We loose heat much faster in 40 degree water then in 40 degree air. Atleast, i think this applies lol.

You may want to try just submerging the radiator in the water first without a pump. It may not be needed. The pump for the tank itself should create a strong enough current.

Click here for the Battlefield 2 L.A.N. Pc worklog.

Well, I have the idea on putting the passive res inside of a pvc pipe, and having water run over it. And doing that, I would just have to have some sort of power head in the water attached to a tube that runs into the pvc pushing water over the res.if that makes sense to any of you. I found a power head at my work (I work in a pet store) that is like 160gph. And from what I've read, most w/c system pumps run at 132gph. So I think I'm going to try it out.

@rithunder916:
    My fish are a bunch of tropical fish. They need they're water around 70-74 degrees. And if I leave my heater around 65, then try to have the res cooler warm up the rest of my water, it should work out great if my calculations are correct.

Current projects:
    ON HOLDKarbon Kreation

Ok, so I have just ordered all my acrylic from TAP Plastics yesterday. But I was wondering. Anyone know of a cheap place to buy a strip heater? TAP's cheapest one is like 60+ bucks. If anyone knows, please tell me.

Here's what I got.

Qty SKU Product Price Total
    1 15118 Acrylic Sheets Clear 1/8" (.118 ) 2' x 2' 16.00 16.00
    1 15062 Acrylic Sheets Clear 1/16" (.0625) 2' x 4' 22.00 22.00
    2 00010 Acrylic Sheets Clear Sample 1/4" (.236) Sample 4" x 4" 2.00 4.00

Subtotal $42.00
    UPS Ground/Handling $10.23
    Grand Total $52.23

Comments/Instructions
    Dave Freeberg okayed the change at the same price for these sizes.

2'x4'x18"
    2'x2'x1/8"

to:
    24" x 27" x 1/8"
    29" x 39" x 1/8"

Current projects:
    ON HOLDKarbon Kreation

Custom Title Honors

Quote Originally Posted by Karbon Killa View Post
    Well, I have the idea on putting the passive res inside of a pvc pipe, and having water run over it. And doing that, I would just have to have some sort of power head in the water attached to a tube that runs into the pvc pushing water over the res.if that makes sense to any of you. I found a power head at my work (I work in a pet store) that is like 160gph. And from what I've read, most w/c system pumps run at 132gph. So I think I'm going to try it out.

@rithunder916:
    My fish are a bunch of tropical fish. They need they're water around 70-74 degrees. And if I leave my heater around 65, then try to have the res cooler warm up the rest of my water, it should work out great if my calculations are correct.
    Unless the PC runs constantly I would leave the heater set in the 70-74 degree range so if you turn the pc off, or if the heat transfer isn't as good as expected or depending on where you live in the US, it gets cold in your house, you wont shock the fish. Also (and it sounds like you are already just using an aquarium power head), watch out for the suction of the powerhead depending on the size of the fish.

What type of rad are you using in the cooler where the aquarium water is running over? You might want to watch out if it's painted or chemicals on the rad from anodizing. Make sure to clean it well and I would definitely monitor water specs for a while once it's setup.

GL and cant wait to see it all done!

On Backup:: CPU- Q9300 Stock HS/F :: MB- Intel board :: RAM- 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) :: GFX- 8800GS HDD- 320GB OS; 1x2TB Storage :: ROM- DVD-ROM :: PSU- Antec 48W :: OS- Win7 x64 :: CASE- CM Centurion 590 :: MON- Dell 1708FP :: MOUSE- Logitech G5 ::

@ Outlaw:
    I am planning on leaving the heater around 70 degrees. My fish are oscars, so they dont need to be monitored around the power head, plus, I am making a little filter box that goes around the inlet of the powerhead, and also one around the outlet (that goes beck into the tank) so that if anything like that does happen, it all gets caught. Also, the rad that I am going to be using is this one " http://www.frozencpu.com/products/57...?tl=g30c97s167 ".

@anyone else:
    As posted before, I need to know of some cheaper yet effective strip heaters for acrylic. So if someone can help me find one, that would be awesome, and I will throw some rep your way for doing so. Thanks again guys, and I should have an update by this weekend. Acrylic comes in on Friday. W00t!!!

Also, just ordered the passive rad/res. So that should be here pretty soon.

Current projects:
    ON HOLDKarbon Kreation

To heat acrylic for cheap, you can use an electric stove or a heat gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Have you checked out the front page lately?
    Projects:
    Moe's Tavern | Sponsored by: Mimo Monitors, Crucial, Thermaltake
    Book Of Knowledge

Karbon,

I found this at Moddersmart for $37. I don't think you'll find anything else much cheaper unless you get lucky on eBay...

http://www.moddersmart.com/en/24inch...ip-heater.html