Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aperture Science Radio (Portal)

Default Re: Aperture Science Radio (Portal)

This whole idea is making me want to play portal again, haha. Looks like a great idea. But that music playing would annoy the hell outta me. lol

Current projects:
    Project:8core
    ON HOLDKarbon Kreation
    ON HOLDFish Tank Media PC

Anodized

Hey, it has to be Christened with that music!

Thanks again, everyone. I'm sure I will have more questions to come. I've already bought the speakers and gutted them, so the project is officially underway. That having been said, I will start a work log shortly and update this page with the link when I do. It has begun.
    Brain kills beer cells.

Anodized

Hey guys,

I've run into a bit of a snag. I was hoping to do as little "complicated" soldering as possible, so before I proceed I'd like some opinions. The components for the speakers will more/less remain in the same location; unfortunately, the power jack and auxiliary audio in are soldered to the same board as the iPod dock and the final product will be much deeper than the original. So, I'd like to either:

A) Add something of an extension to each cable or
    B) Desolder the jacks, relocate them further back and extend them with wire.
    Here's some reference (the focus sucks, sorry):

Audio jack on the left, AC power on the right:

Front view of components:

Terminals of both components (three each):

I have a few questions here:

1. See the other holes around the terminals? Are they just registration pins (to hold them in place), or is it something else I can't desolder and shouldn't be messing with?
    2. I'm not so concerned about the audio jack, but messing with the AC power plug... is this a good idea? Or should I be fine if I solder/resolder properly?
    3. Does anyone recommend any alternatives?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
    Brain kills beer cells.

it shouldn't be a problem desoldering and resoldering them, just rem what pins go where, and remember to shield them to prevent a short, hot glue or heat shrink will do the job

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

Anodized

Awesome. That's great news, thank you. Knowing that hot glue is a good insulator helps too; heat shrink can be troublesome sometimes. Here goes!
    Brain kills beer cells.