View Poll Results: iPod Touch 8GB ($215) vs Asus Netbook 1002HA ($494)

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • iPod Touch

2 28.57%
  • Asus Netbook

5 71.43%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Netbook vs iPod Touch

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Netbook vs iPod Touch

Here is something I didn't give a thought towards. Is there much difference between an iPod Touch and a Netbook? Aside from the obvious of course. I mean they can basically do the same things can't they?

All I would be using a netbook for is web browsing and ebook reading. Then I thought; well, can't the iPod Touch do that kind of stuff too? At half the price of the netbook I'm looking at too.

Its got me at least slightly interested, but I'm just not sure. A Netbook would be SWEET. But then again, so would an iPod Touch AND so would saving something like $280.

Hmmm.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Default Re: Netbook vs iPod Touch

an ipod can do many many things.. but they can not do half of what netbook can.. u can buy an ipod and think its cheaper.. but what u gunna do about expansion apps? spend an arm or a leg at the ipod online store? how about perhaps wantin to watch something.. 4-5 inch versus 7-10? or bigger? my suggestion.. bite the bullet.. buy the netbook... u can do alot more with them.... wether they run linux (EeePC) or windows... u can download anything you want ( and b4 i get shot down, im promoting open source!!! ).. so again i say.. netbook... honestly something like the acer one... u can use headphones and have a MP3 aswell... just wear pants with bigger pockets
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if somebody sigquotes part of this.

Sorry I forgot to mention that I do have a computer. Technically its a laptop, the Dell Inspiron 9300 model, but with a broken screen and very short battery life (around an hour), I use it as a desktop. It has plenty of processing power, plenty of ram and a dedicated graphics card that can handle most games pretty well.

The main reasons why I was looking into Netbooks was for high portability for web browsing and reading. I don't travel enough for long periods of time to need it for anything else and the only things I use a computer for is; Reading, Web Browsing, WoW, Movies and occasionally some music listening. Thats pretty much it.

So like I was saying. A Netbook would be AWESOME. But so would an iPod Touch and so would an extra $280 in the bank. And if I'm basically going to use them for the same exact things... gah, idk. I really want both, and I could afford both technically if I downgraded to a cheap netbook, but I'm shallow like that. I only like to spend my money on things that look pretty. lol

Question: Can the iPod Touch view EBooks?
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

havin an unmobile laptop is like saying ye i got a ferrari... but i just lack wheels..
    i dont know wether or not an ipod touch supports ebooks.. but i promise you it will cost an arm and a leg to get an ebook reading app offa the itunes store... again.. i will suggest netbook.. but do as you wish...
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if somebody sigquotes part of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I9UpmWasxY

That looks... surprisingly good? For an eBook Reader I mean.

Apparently there are quite a few apps for the Touch for reading eBooks, and apparently the Touch makes for a good eBook Reader once you jailbreak it.

Someone better make a good point or I'm going to have to buy one!

Want a good point? It's an apple product, it will work, as will the netbook. But also consider other uses, if you need to use it to quickly make up a document for work/school/uni/college (did I cover all bases there?), I wouldn't be wanting to use an iPod Touch.

However if you're wanting to listen to music, the iPod Touch would be a better choice due to battery life. What I'm trying to say is, if there is another potential use of the device you buy, you're going to have to look at future potential uses and base your decision off that.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

I decided to get the 16GB iPod Touch!

Reasons:
    • After two years, its about time I bought a new cell phone! Upgraded to Motorola Q9m from VX8300, yay!
    • I broke the LCD on my Mp3 Player and I can barely live without it, so I need a new one asap.
    • The Touch does everything I need it to do. Not to mention how sexy it is and now much fun it will be to use and play around with! :p
    • Maybe sometime down the road I'll buy a netbook. Who knows, by that time maybe mine will be cheaper or there will be better ones out there! ^_^

One thing though. I am EXTREMELY hesitant of iTunes. I HATE iTunes, actually. Is there any real replacement? or am I just going to have to bite the bullet on this one?

iTunes has half improved as there is no DRM now, but there probably is some vague replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by crenn View Post
    iTunes has half improved as there is no DRM now, but there probably is some vague replacement.
    So what does that mean really? If I connect my ipod to another computer using itunes, will it still erase my entire collection? is media swappable from ipod to ipod? or is it just the music you buy on itunes that is drm free?

Also, is it still a bloated pile like it used to be? I don't remember what version I last used with my 30GB Video (wasn't first gen, I know that much), but it always ate my computer alive and made it freeze and be really slow.

I don't have all the answers, I own no apple devices, and I don't use iTunes.