Thread: Setting up an FTP

Default Setting up an FTP

Im looking for a bit of help setting up an FTP server just to have private access to while im not home. I wanted to use just XP pro instead of a third party software but im not having much luck. So, lets just say I have no idea what im doing because I dont. I dont even know how to go about setting up an IP address for the server. Im just lost.

Thanks
    -Dan

Click here for the Battlefield 2 L.A.N. Pc worklog.

Default Re: Setting up an FTP

I take it you realize the security risk you are opening yourself up to by doing this. IIS will do basic FTP serving, look at http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.c...id=1491&page=2 for how to set it up.

I dont mind using a third party software such as Serv U if it would be best. I know nothing is secure so I accept the risk if someone decides they want in. I just have no idea what im doing as far as setting it up. Also, do i need to create a domain name at a site like n-oip.com ? Im pretty lost with all of this since I realy havent messed with creating an ftp before. Only simple file sharing server on my home network. I just now want to expand it to allow me to access some of the files when im not home.

After you setup the FTP serving software, you should be able to test it within your lan. Once you can confirm that works, then you'll need to figure out your external IP address. You'll probably will need a n-oip.com address, especially if you have a dynamic IP address (which is the case for most residential broadband services). Then you'll most likely have to open up port 21 (or what ever one you have your FTP server listening to) on your router to be forwarded to your FTP server.
    Last edited by mtekk; 01-25-2009 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Yeah it's port 21, I'm still thinking in SSH land

My personnal recommendation: FreeNAS

Really easy to set up your FTP; manage users and all. and more: ITS FREE!!!

Anyone who think a computer is sexy need to #$? and fast

It's pretty simple really. Install/configure your FTP server software. Test it across your LAN. Next, configure your server with a static IP address. Then, go into your router, and forward everthing on port 21 to whatever IP address you gave your server. Now, unless you're using something like www.dyndns.org, you won't be able to hit it by name.. you'll have to use your WAN IP address. To find out what that is, go to www.whatismyip.com. (Or to have fun with it.. google moan my IP).

Thanks guys, got it all setup but im not sure if its working because the onboard gigabyte died. Im going to get a new NIC and give it a try tomorrow.

Thanks
    -Dan

Overclocked

You could just use Windows Live Skydrive. Yes, it's made by microsoft, but you get 25GB of free storage, and the permissions are all done by live accounts.

As far as I know, you can map the space as a network drive
    Current Mod
    AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition 2.7GHz (Overclock Not Tested)
    OCZ 2x2GB DDR2 800Mhz GOLD XTC Memory
    Samsung HD502HI 500GB Hard Drive SATAII - Green Drive
    Zotac 9800GT Synergy Edition 512MB DDR3
    Artic Power 500W PSU
    Gigabyte GA-M57 SLI-S4 Rev. 2.0