Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Building an HTPC or hack up a pc?

Custom Title Honors

Default Re: Building an HTPC or hack up a pc?

Thanks guys!

I'll have to do that. Didn't realize there were so many options for OS. lol

Here's pic of what I would like it to look like. Please keep in mind it was all mostly resized and may not be accurately proportioned.

On Backup:: CPU- Q9300 Stock HS/F :: MB- Intel board :: RAM- 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) :: GFX- 8800GS HDD- 320GB OS; 1x2TB Storage :: ROM- DVD-ROM :: PSU- Antec 48W :: OS- Win7 x64 :: CASE- CM Centurion 590 :: MON- Dell 1708FP :: MOUSE- Logitech G5 ::

ATX Mental Case

Looks nice!
    Whatever can light up, should light up brightly and in many different colors.

Custom Title Honors

Thanks. Hopefully it can be done like that though!

For the aluminum or sheet metal, I think it was said to be about 2mm, is that thick enough to support it in a U shape (top front and bottom as one piece)? or should I look for a thicker sheet?

On Backup:: CPU- Q9300 Stock HS/F :: MB- Intel board :: RAM- 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) :: GFX- 8800GS HDD- 320GB OS; 1x2TB Storage :: ROM- DVD-ROM :: PSU- Antec 48W :: OS- Win7 x64 :: CASE- CM Centurion 590 :: MON- Dell 1708FP :: MOUSE- Logitech G5 ::

ATX Mental Case

2mm should be fine for both, steel will be stronger, but heavier and harder to work with, unless you use heat.

Custom Title Honors

Hopefully I won't have to use steel. Don't have a torch or anything really to heat up the metal. Still need to find a metal brake that doesn't have hydraulics in it, but one that would allow me to make the bends needed without having to cut the metal.

ATX Mental Case

try going to northern tool, they might have something. if not, try harbor freight, they again might have one. I've been to both places and have seen them there, so chances are either one will work..

Custom Title Honors

Sweet, don't think I've heard of northern tool around here but there is a harbor freight. Always forget its there and they usually carry some of the "oddball" tools other places don't. Also got a co-worker that has a 2nd job working at a metal place where they might be able to get me the aluminum. Not sure on pricing yet though.

Thanks!

Got the Blu-Ray player for the PC yesterday too! Can't wait to hook it up!

Custom Title Honors

Got a quote for a 60"x40" sheet aluminum at .1" (2.54mm) thickness came to $130. The size is obviously bigger then needed but more is better plus I need a practice piece and any support braces from whats left over.

The case itself seems huge. dimensions figured are 20(w)x20(d)x11(h) not including any feet. I tried to do another mock up if interested i could post it. It put the monitor in the middle over the dvd drives and a 120mm on each side. there would also be a media card/usb/audo card under the fan on one side and the power buttons on the other. It didn't make the case any smaller though like I was hopping (probably cuz I added another front fan). I spose I could probably just mount on the sides?

ATX Mental Case

Where did the drives go? in a HTPC you want the drives up front. I myself would leave the screen off center, and keep the 120 where it is. You could always move the fan into the middle, and have the drives off to the left.

Mike

Custom Title Honors

With the screen and drives in the middle the hd's to the left and right of that behind each fan. Is there a "best way" to get more HD space? Just guessing, I could get 3 HD's behind that 1 120mm. I would probably do an OS drive, 160GB or something like that (they're cheap), and 2 larger 500GB+ each with a raid 1 possibly.