Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Building an HTPC or hack up a pc?

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: Building an HTPC or hack up a pc?

well, you could stack them on their sides. If space is really a concern you can pick up a few laptop drives. you should be able to fit 4 drives behind that 120mm fan, so that should be fine. SOunds like a good plan too! don't be afraid to take from other machines, like cooler-master has a 120mm hdd drive bay from their cm stacker. Scavenge!

Mike
    Whatever can light up, should light up brightly and in many different colors.

Custom Title Honors

I can probably get some cheap cases from a used pc store near by. If I wanted to pull the tray out of my main rig now, I could have it hold 4 HD's and I think its a 92mm fan for the front. I would just have to drill and top some holes for the bay. Could probably scrap an old Gateway I got too for the bays, but I think there is only 2 or 3 HD bays.

On Backup:: CPU- Q9300 Stock HS/F :: MB- Intel board :: RAM- 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) :: GFX- 8800GS HDD- 320GB OS; 1x2TB Storage :: ROM- DVD-ROM :: PSU- Antec 48W :: OS- Win7 x64 :: CASE- CM Centurion 590 :: MON- Dell 1708FP :: MOUSE- Logitech G5 ::

ATX Mental Case

see why re-invent the wheel! it's what I do myself always taking old cases and destroying and hacking up for parts! i have drive cages, and mobo trays, and fan holders, etc! its great cause if i get a case that needs a part, or I do a mod that needs something, i can pull from what i have, instead of making something!

Custom Title Honors

The only problem with cutting up the one case I would just have to literally pull the tray out the front, is a very thick steel (compared to most). I don't think I'll be using it for the motherboard area. lol I don't plan to buy 100pack of cutting disks or jigsaw blades. Depending on how everything actually gets situated in it, I may have room for another set of 3 HD's (for expansion). not sure if the PSU is going "above" the motherboard or "below it" which it would then be behind the monitor. If it goes above it, I would probably have enough room for 6 3.5" HD's hopefully saving some cost of not having to buy new 2.5". I'll see if i can get one of my master crafted paint images done. lol

Thanks

On Backup:: CPU- Q9300 Stock HS/F :: MB- Intel board :: RAM- 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) :: GFX- 8800GS HDD- 320GB OS; 1x2TB Storage :: ROM- DVD-ROM :: PSU- Antec 48W :: OS- Win7 x64 :: CASE- CM Centurion 590 :: MON- Dell 1708FP :: MOUSE- Logitech G5 ::

ATX Mental Case

you could put the hdd's above the mother board. If it's possible, I would make the psu have its own area, so you don't have to worry about it interfering with anything else.

Mike

you should stealth your drives would look much sweeter. love the idea though, gonna look sweet! /2 cents
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Custom Title Honors

Billygaot333- When you say stealth, your talking about puting a piece of metal or material over that, so it looks flush except for the cutout? I would have to practice first, this build/mod would be my first so I'm not sure on cutting and bending yet, but it would be cool.

rithunder916- How do you mean above the motherboard? Like putting HD mounts on the top of the case? An HD lined ceiling? lol I like the PSU in it's own little area too. Keep the heat out of the main part too.

Anybody else play with blu-ray and non HDCP hardware?
    I have the blu-ray player, 8800GTS (HDCP if I remember correctly), but not an HDCP or monitor with HDMI. I was able to get the video to play(used a software) but after a little while it will BSOD then shutdown the computer. I'm probably going to do another fresh install of XP just incase when I was playing with services it doesn't like it.

Billygoat333- When you say stealth, your talking about puting a piece of metal or material over that, so it looks flush except for the cutout? I would have to practice first, this build/mod would be my first so I'm not sure on cutting and bending yet, but it would be cool.
    exactly. always a first time for everything!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

ATX Mental Case

Yea, exactly! flip them upside down, and place them on the top of the computer case! You should have more than enough space up there, for 6 hdd's, and if you make the top panel "flip up" then you'll have really easy access! Then Id use some modders mesh, and a few fans to push air around, so they can breath some! It would be cool, and unique!

Custom Title Honors

Since I think there is going to be enough room if it stays 20" deep. Here is what I think it could look like. Not sure on exact dimensions so this is just a guess.

Thick black is the actual aluminum. Grey is as labeled mesh. If it would work, I would be able to put 6 HD's on the right sid alone and still have room behind the monitor for whatever (dust?) lol or more HD's later on. The picked height if I went with the 10.4" screen would have to be about 11" tall so there would definitely be room to mount on the roof of the case. I still think this case is going to be huge and hopefully fit on most shelving.