Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Thread: Project : BossFX-57

Default Re: Project : BossFX-57

I'm getting ready to get out in the garage and cut the base off of this thing... but here is a glimpse of what I'm looking for:

It is just resting on the bottom of the filter there, I want to get the base of the housing on there for authenticity, as well as the integrated mounting post that comes with it. Will allow me to wing nut that top of the filter housing.

From tonight:

That is the 92mm fan grill legs that you see sticking out from under this dude... damn near a perfect fit! I could not have been happier!

So, I hear the question, "How did you get the grill to stay on down there, Craig?" Well, I'll show ya, if you promise to respect me in the morning!
    Zip Ties. 2 of them, that will never be seen, because they are smack in the middle of the air filter. I can live with this.... can you?

Test fit in the case... making sure I have not done all of this work, only to have it not fit... criminy! I'm going to likely have to shear the bolt down and get some sort of nylon centered lock nut for the top! While I had the grill off, I pulled hte fan and sleeved it's power/signal wires in a black sleeving.

The scoop is shaping up nicely! Very nicely I might add. Not done with this by any stretch, but the bulk of the basic work is done. Shape a bit more, then I'll fiberglass it tomorrow. While the fiber glass dries, I plan on filing down the side window to it's final level, and work on painting the out sides the Orange color. (Sand, prime, sand, paint, more sanding... more painting...

Would have been cool to see you mount the fan within the air filter =P And that Scoop is comin out pimp.
    How steady do those zipties hold by the way?

Quote Originally Posted by Xato
    How steady do those zipties hold by the way?
    rock solid bro.

What happened to the Hyper 6+?

Still in the box... but I did not like it's style when added into a "late 60's" type of thinking.

It looked "too" high tech. Don't worry! It'll be in a future mod!

lol, So the Hyper 48 looks much better? I have to agree so.

Heheeh... yeah, the 48 looks like an exhaust manifold in my eyes.

Thanks everyone!
    Update time!

Quick pic update.... a little text to show what all has happened in the past .. uh... how long have I been outside?

No lie, I think (in hind sight) I used a bit too much resin, as I think my 2 layers of fiber glass with the resin worked in to saturate the fabric, I think I made the 2nd cousin to ballistic kevlar or anti missle armor! JEEZUS! I went through 4 qty/80 grit sander pads sanding the fiber glass down to the initial shape in the 2nd pic! 3rd, 4th and 5th scoop pics are the first layer of bondo, then 1st layer sanded, then the 2nd touchup layer applied.

Took the front grill emblem out for the first time in a while! Put it to my dremel polishing attachments and wire wheels to get the years of dust and crap that were embedded into it! Much better now!

This is just to show the placement of the hood ornament, and also that the very top and very bottom of the bezel have little tapers. Turns out those are part of the back plastics of the front bezel attachment framework. I can paint the top and bottoms of the front bezel something to accent the work I am about to put on the front.

I've got a cool idea for the paint (I think... we'll see, I've test painted something tonight to see how it comes out later tonight.), might be a two tone matte black/deep smoke grey gloss anodized paint on the front, with the edges being the side panel OSHA orange.

I've got another paint scheme in my head, (my original one) that I'm thinking will work as well... more on that later!

That intake has been a serious pain in the a$$... I like it, but I dont. I don't like it because I see what I did wrong with it, where my fabrication was errored.

However... I'm not beating myself up over it too badly... after all, it was my first time using fiberglass, my first time to create something *this* "from scratch"... All of my mods previously have been stripping stuff away in hte form of cutouts and such. Not used to building up things that did not exist in the first place!

So, in that sense, I'm pretty happy with it.

Also, my last tech piece arrived in the mail today. A Plextor 712SA SATA DVD Burner. It is not the slot load (wanted one of those badly, but did not want to the price premium those were carying), but I wanted my hard drive and my optical to both be SATA devices, as I have orange SATA cables that same with the board! That was some good karma! So, I'll have no PATA "flat ribbon" cables t hide in the rig at all, and the SATA cables that are used will be in the same color scheme as the paint job!!!