Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What a waste :(

ATX Mental Case theshoeshineman's Avatar

Default Re: What a waste :(

Well I picked up the computers today

2 x IBM Think Pads
    1 x IBM Netvista
    1 x Generic MicroATX form factor PC

I managed to boot up 1 of the thinkpads and they are 1.6ghz P4 with 384mb RAM. The other thinkpad just beeped 3 times at me when I tried to start it, so I opend it up and put the RAM in their CORRECT slots and it booted up fine. The BIOS tried to log onto some network when I turned it on so I just reset the BIOS and it seems to boot fine now.

The thinkpads arn't very pretty but I might paint the cases and increase the ram to atleast 512mb and then donate them or something to a club.

The Netvista pc is pretty small. I'm pretty sure it's a celeron 664mhx ITX board or something inside of it. I turned on the PC and theirs some weird BIOS installed and I need a password to get into the BIOS. I'm not sure if theres any jumper setting to do a manual bios reset.

Infact there is a weird BIOS installed on all of them. I think it must be specifically for the school setup.

The other tower PC is pretty crap and has windows 98 installed on it. The case got a little scratched on the front when I transported it but it's a fairly nice design. One that I'd be happy to mod.
    Visit my website: http://djcassar.com
    Scratch build: The Cube
    Sure we would all love "real friends", but honestly whats the chances of that happening?

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theshoeshineman View Post
    I'm not sure if theres any jumper setting to do a manual bios reset.
    Should be. If there's not, just remove the battery for at least 30 seconds.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

Should be. If there's not, just remove the battery for at least 30 seconds.
    Careful doing this on older motherboards, kids. Don't know why but on some older boards doing this can screw them up.

I'm not sure if theres any jumper setting to do a manual bios reset.
    There's almost always a jumper for this. It's likely to be very close to the battery. With time, you'll be able to find them on a new motherboard without reading the instructions...you'll just notice the patterns. I'm sure everyone here will agree!

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    There's almost always a jumper for this. It's likely to be very close to the battery. With time, you'll be able to find them on a new motherboard without reading the instructions...you'll just notice the patterns. I'm sure everyone here will agree!

-Dave
    I've become pretty good at that.
    Help my mini city
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.

Holy crap, they were getting rid of <10-year-old ThinkPads?!

Score, mate!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

I just got an IBM desktop with a P2 from my favorite guy who throws away computers! Or from his trash, at least.
    Help my mini city

ATX Mental Case theshoeshineman's Avatar

Yeah I'm really pleased with these computers.

I formatted one this evening and shoved 512mb ram and it's running great!

Just wish I could get down there to pick up the others they dumped in the bin!
    Visit my website: http://djcassar.com
    Scratch build: The Cube
    Sure we would all love "real friends", but honestly whats the chances of that happening?

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theshoeshineman View Post
    My brother-in-law works at a school about 2 hours drive away from me. He phoned me up and said that the school was throwing out all their old computers and getting new ones. They had phoned up the computer recyclers but they wanted money to pick them all up so the school was just going to dump them in the bin.

He asked me if I wanted one and I told him to get as many as he could. Apparently he's gotten me 4 cases because there were so many.

I'm not sure what they are yet or how complete they are but he said he got ones that looked the most complete as some people had started pulling bits off them. Aparently ones a tower case the other 3 are desktop ones.

I wish I could have gotten down there! I would have filled my car right up heh! Not sure where I'll put them but I'm sure I'll find uses for them.
    hell yea

throwing electronics in the normal waste containers is rediculously illegal. Should note that your bro-in-law could be fined upwards of 7,000$ per pound of electronic waste not properly disposed of.

Bam!!!1 thats not even in California those Beoyatches want to take your first born child for that sort of thing.

Just hope the trash guy doesnt pay attention to all the electronics breaking and falling out of the bin when he tips the container over the truck or you all are totally Farked he'll report that so fast there won't even be time to smoke a jay.

Laters

-chris-

Quote Originally Posted by Twigsoffury View Post
    throwing electronics in the normal waste containers is rediculously illegal. Should note that your bro-in-law could be fined upwards of 7,000$ per pound of electronic waste not properly disposed of.
    He wouldn't be fined, the school would be. I didn't think it was illegal everywhere yet.
    Help my mini city