Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camera woes

Would You kindly... luciusad2004's Avatar

Default Camera woes

Hey guys, this is probably a dumb off the wall question.

My girlfriend got a cheap digital camera for christmas from her mother and it eat's through double A's like they are from the all you can eat buffet. I mean, you get off no more than 5-10 quick pictures and the batteries are DEAD. Inspection reveals that they are just cheapo AA's

She got a Kodak EasyShare CD93, i don't know much about it but her family is a lil down on their luck, so im sure its probably a lower tier camera. Does anyone have any idea of why it could be doing this?

I was thinking maybe it needed those fancy pants higher power batteries but i really don't know anything about camera's. Is it possible that maybe it just needs a nicer brand of battery?

Any ideas? I've been trying to find stuff on google, but haven't come across anything yet.

Thanks for any tips.
    What if I'm a Snowstorm burning
    What if I'm a world unturning.

ATX Mental Case theshoeshineman's Avatar

Default Re: Camera woes

Get two sets of rechargable batteries and a quick charger. Yes they cost a fortune initially but you will save in the long run!

Some cameras are better than others in terms of battery life. I had a Canon A620 P&S which would take a good 600 shots before the batteries needed replacing.

The BIGGEST killer of batteries however is the FLASH! They will chew through a set of AA's in no time so make sure she knows how to turn it on and off!

Cameras are "High Powered Devices" meaning they draw a lot of current in short amounts of time from the battery. As such they work a lot better with expencive high power batteries as thats what those batteries are designed to do.

Other devices such as remotes and clocks are "Low Powered Devices" and you can get away with installing cheapo batteries as they don't need to deliver high amounts of current. Infact the cheap batteries will probably last as long as the more expencive ones, in some cases longer.

Installing cheap batteries in a high powered device will drain and kill the battery as the metals inside the battery can't handle the current being drawn.

Other tips
    * Turn off the camera when not in use. (obvious I'm sure, but people have a habbit of leaving it on when walking down the road)
    * Lower the brightness of the display if possible

But yes, turn off the flash whenever possible and you will be able to take A LOT more photos.
    Visit my website: http://djcassar.com
    Scratch build: The Cube
    Sure we would all love "real friends", but honestly whats the chances of that happening?

those energizer lithium batteries = great for digital cameras. also, the rechargeable ones work well too, as long as you are near the charger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Ya, I would try higher power batteries, or even rechargables if it will take it.

Everyone I've known with one of the lower Kodak camera's has had them eat through batteries. Same amount of pics to, flash on even gets less. It was ridiculous. The girlfriends aunt, grandmother, and my aunts camera all did the same thing. All Kodak EasyShares.

Would You kindly... luciusad2004's Avatar

Ok, thanks guys, Ill pick up some more powerful batteries and see how it works out. If i ever get the money ill pick up some rechargeable ones as well. When you say rechargeable do you mean like, camera specific ones or just rechargeable AA's? Is a quick charger something I have to look for or would any charger be considered a "quick" charger? I used to have some rechargeable AA's that i LOVED but they were a few years old and have moved on to the giant electric fields in the sky. I like to think maybe they were reincarnated as iPod batteries.
    What if I'm a Snowstorm burning
    What if I'm a world unturning.

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by billygoat333 View Post
    those energizer lithium batteries = great for digital cameras. also, the rechargeable ones work well too, as long as you are near the charger.
    They work great in the GPS too.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

I have to agree with shoeshine--get yourself some rechargeables. Every piece of electronics will be inherently different in regards to battery time--I've seen identical handheld gaming machines (first generation Gameboys to be precise) that differed in this area--one machine would go for 30 minutes (if you were lucky) on a set of batteries and the other would go for 5 or so hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Quote Originally Posted by DrumThumper View Post
    I have to agree with shoeshine--get yourself some rechargeables. Every piece of electronics will be inherently different in regards to battery time--I've seen identical handheld gaming machines (first generation Gameboys to be precise) that differed in this area--one machine would go for 30 minutes (if you were lucky) on a set of batteries and the other would go for 5 or so hours.
    What you're forgetting is revisions and charging/discharging cycles, plus the chemical makeup.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crenn View Post
    What you're forgetting is revisions and charging/discharging cycles, plus the chemical makeup.
    If one only lasts 30 minutes on the same batteries as one that lasts 5 hours (assuming that it's the same revision), the 30 minute one probably has a short or something that is bad somewhere in it.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

Rechargeable NiMH AA's are your best bet. I had a set that worked flawlessly for over 3 years, and would still be in the new camera if I hadnt lost one of them.

I got mine at Radio Shack for like $40 4 years ago.

Just make sure you kill them completely and charge them completely.. no halfways.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro