Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: what stats are you running windows 7 with

Would You kindly... luciusad2004's Avatar

Default Re: what stats are you running windows 7 with

My biggest gripe is that it occasionally Bogs down like crazy when loading programs or popping up the start menu. I'm not sure if its Windows or my computer. Sometimes i start to wonder if its frozen.
    What if I'm a Snowstorm burning
    What if I'm a world unturning.

OK, I finally managed to land a solution that works (so far) for my video driver.

First of all, I had to delete the "detected" driver for the Radeon 9600/9700 in the device manager, so that it was listed as "Standard VGA Device".

Next, I downloaded and attempted to install the Catalyst control center from ATI for a regular 9700 (not the mobility version, which I have). The install failed, but the directory was created and the files dropped into it.. I copied them out to another folder before acknowledging the failure and letting the installer close (and remove the files).

I then rebooted the system, and went to the device manager, and manually installed the driver that I copied out from the failed install, and rebooted again. SUCCESS!!

It took me until 130am, but I managed to get my drivers all installed and working with Windows 7. I now have 1440x900 resolution, and a much more graphically "wowy" UI.

Initial Impressions: It's remarkably lightweight in feel compared to Vista, though I honestly never attempted to run Vista on this notebook, so I cant do a direct comparison. The interface is really slick, I like the object oriented task bar and the ability to call up recently used items/locations very easily.

The control panel is very different, but I like how they made it clean and simple, but can unleash all the options if you go to advanced mode... and there are alot of advanced options!

I'll post more as I play with it.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

I'm going to be installing Windows 7 Beta this weekend on my desktop. I'll let you know how I go!
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

I've had an interesting experience with putting Windows 7. I got a new HDD to install 7 onto, when I initially had Windows 7, I didn't have AHCI on but after I had windows 7 setup, I setup it up in BIOS, this caused windows 7 to BSOD on start up and it couldn't be repaired (not really Windows 7's fault).

The most interesting thing is when I reinstalled Windows 7 with AHCI on. Setup took the normal amount of time but I got stuck on the "Setup is preparing your computer for first use" at first I thought this was just a random error so I formatted the drive again. No, it's no error, but after waiting long enough, it did get past this. After I set up the username etc, I went to go update windows. This is when the fun began. After restarting the machine, I could no longer access windows update (window would freeze) and a lot of other things seemed to freeze as well. I think I may just start from scratch again.

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

I guess I've been lucky; no problems other than COD 4 not working.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

I've found a few more issues so far.

1. My SD card reader doesnt appear in "my computer" with a known working SD card with data on it inserted. In Media Player, the SD card appears on the list of sources, but the files on it are not accessible in any way.

2. When trying to choose a screen saver, the little preview window for the ss starts up, then locks the computer solid. A hard reboot was necessary to get it unstuck. I tried again, and this time just waited to see if it would resume on its own.. and it did, but not before corrupting the graphics driver, and locking me to 640x480 resolution with 8bit color. Installing graphics driver again..

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    I've found a few more issues so far.

1. My SD card reader doesnt appear in "my computer" with a known working SD card with data on it inserted. In Media Player, the SD card appears on the list of sources, but the files on it are not accessible in any way.

2. When trying to choose a screen saver, the little preview window for the ss starts up, then locks the computer solid. A hard reboot was necessary to get it unstuck. I tried again, and this time just waited to see if it would resume on its own.. and it did, but not before corrupting the graphics driver, and locking me to 640x480 resolution with 8bit color. Installing graphics driver again..
    Mapping a letter to it in disk management, in computer management might solve that problem.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

Current update: After a fresh install, there is still problems with Windows 7.

If I wait long enough Windows Update will come up but I can't access any drive as when I try to go through Computer, it hangs with the green bar. This is a very strange problem and the first time I've seen it happen. I'm wondering if one of the windows updates did this as it wasn't like this until I updated. I'm going to give it one more reinstall and only do the MP3 Bug fix for now.

Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    Mapping a letter to it in disk management, in computer management might solve that problem.
    That was my first thought, but unfortunately it doesnt appear in the disk management either! I suspect this is a deeper issue..

Media player lists the SD Card as a source, but doesnt give any options as to filesystem or content on it, so I think, "Redmond, we have a problem."

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

I think I'm going to give up on trying Windows 7 until I can get the RC. The Beta doesn't like my desktop. It's a shame though, out of all of the computers I've tried with it, only this one has had any problems. I'm going back to Vista Ultimate for now.