Thread: Debian Project

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Default Debian Project

I haven't been on the forums very much lately. I thought I would share what I have been working on as a side project. I am experimenting with setting up the perfect home server. I am starting off on a basic old pc as a test bed. It is a 1.5ghz P4, 256mb of ram, geforce4, dvd drive, 20gb hdd, Ethernet and wireless. I chose to post about this here as it will be mostly about debian.

I started with the smallest debian image you can get the 40mb one. Most of the packages you download from the net. I did a basic install with no gui or anything. I also asked it to install the "file server option" which installs samba and other associated programs. Once the computer booted I installed ssh so I could manage it remotely and not have a screen and keyboard plugged in.

Last night I decided to have a go at setting up wifi. First I checked to see if my wifi card is supported. To my surprise the drivers where included in the kernel. Next I installed iwconfig for configuration and wpa_supplicant so I can connect and authenticate wpa. After 2 hours of playing around with settings. I managed to get the wireless working.

Next I will setup samba. It appears to be mostly installed I will just have to monkey with the config. For those who don't know samba allows windows pc's to share files with linux pc's and it appears to the windows pc that it is sharing files with another windows pc.

If all this goes to plan. I will scrounge together some computer parts and buy some 1tb hard disks and make a kick ass file server.
    Need a sig

Default Re: Debian Project

sweet dude, looking forward to seeing this

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

After a little bit of trouble messing round with the smb.conf I found I could edit it using a web gui SWAT that is installed when samba is installed. I then could type in the computers name in explorer on a windows computer and have a remote directory be accessible.

Now my tests are complete I am going to build a new computer out of some cheap parts with lots of harddrive space. Also I will experiment with media streaming.

Also I am considering if I have time to mod the case this system will go in by painting it jet black and shining it up also I may put some blue lighting that flashes when a hdd's are accessed.
    Need a sig

Debian is a good choice. I have it running on a couple of old PCs, one of which will also be a file server (no streaming, just holding files). It's a little bit of work for the uninitiated to get going, but once you've done it, it's a cinch. It's been rock-solid as well, I can't remember the last time I rebooted it (a lie, it was shortly after Lenny stable was released, I wiped out Etch to install the new version fresh).