Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Camp America

Default Camp America

Hi everyone just thought I would make a topic about this, its something I'm really interested in and was wanting to talk to other members over in America about what is good about where you live or where you would recommend someone to go on a trip. I am just in the application stage and have arranged a deposit

Also guys who have been to this can you say what it was like for you? what to look out for and if you had fun?
    This is just a general discussion really about America, I just want to get a feel of peoples stories
    Basic Math:
    1 + 1 = 2
    1 * 1 = 1

Default Re: Camp America

That really depends on what you're looking for, and your budget. For example the East Coast has a lot of historical work to see: Boston for example is filled with it. Also, there is the food question. Do you want deep dish pizza in Chicago from Unos, or do you want the classic New York style? Are you wanting sun and beautiful people? California or Florida are a good choice. If you're more of an outdoorsman, there's Colorado for white water rafting, Yellowstone National Park, etc. If it were me, and I had only one place I could go? It would honestly be Boston though, there's really so much to see and do there. And there's the added bonus of being so close to Jersey and NYC, hell even Phillie is a day trip away from Boston. All of those places = possibilities galore.
    The Ghostwheel Project
    "A lot of theoretical crap involving space and time and some notions of some guys named Everett and Wheeler."

:: Spectre : GHOST 38.1 Mk1 : GHOST 38.1 Mk 2 : GHOST 38.2 ::

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

Portillo's has good hotdogs; I usually go there when I'm in Chicago. Niagra Falls is nice, but it's the best from the Canadian Side. Michigan is nice. Up north , there's the Sioux Locks. Tahquamenon Falls is nice. If you're in Detroit, you have to go to the Fox Theater. Disney world is in Orlando; it's pretty sweet.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

hehe well they do say America is the place of opportunity. I will be working for a while on a program for camp America then i can extend my permit longer if i wish to stay and do my own thing like travel and see things. I know that camp America give me a grant of 1000 dollers when i arrive there. it is there to cover my accommodation and food on my stay. the time i get to my self will be about a month so I'm expecting to see a bit and get up to allot in that time.

personally beaches don't interest me much and am looking into things like extreme sports and water activities so will be looking into more place you were talking about
    Basic Math:
    1 + 1 = 2
    1 * 1 = 1

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

There's also the Sears Tower in Chicago, the tallest building in North America, and they are working on the Chicago Spire, which will be the tallest freestanding structure in North America.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

Also guys who have been to this can you say what it was like for you? what to look out for and if you had fun? This is just a general discussion really about America, I just want to get a feel of peoples stories
    I was working in a Camp for Special Needs kids in PA last summer. It was the best decision I've ever made in my life. I had a great time during camp, and I loved working with the kids. Don't avoid working with disabled kids, there's nothing to be scared off. After Camp, with the help of Jon, I got a car and travelled 6000 miles over the USA with 4 Russians. To say it was the best time of my life would be an understatement.

I can give you only one piece of advice, and that is to follow your heart. If it takes you to America, then pluck up the stones and go. If you fancy travelling afterwards, then go for it 100%. You won't regret a thing.

Good luck mate.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

hay, thanks for some great places guys

i was having the same idea as you dave, getting a car or a van and go traveling with some people around America or get on some other program like unlimited train tickets or scheduled tour. i think doing it with other peoples and by my self would be better then a company help me. yeah i would love to try lots of different food there too, i know the portions are not the same in the UK

nah i don't have a problem with disabled kids, my younger brother is disabled and have been on a few trips with him to different outdoor camps where the majority of people there have some sort of disability.

what did you end up doing while you were at the camp? who did you end up going with
    Basic Math:
    1 + 1 = 2
    1 * 1 = 1

There is a ton to do. I would always suggest the east coast if you are into history. Washington D.C., Philadelphia, Boston, etc are all within a day from each other. Heck, if your in the Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania area and need a place to crash you can stay at my place. I know where the best cheese steaks are and no, its not in Philadelphia .

Click here for the Battlefield 2 L.A.N. Pc worklog.

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Nothing beats sitting in a lawn chair around a bonfire at Ocean Beach in San Fransisco at 10pm (or later), just talking, drinking apple cider/coffee and enjoying a good cigar.

Nothing.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

I'm in southwestern Missouri here, and there are some excellent hiking trails and canoeing to be had in the Buffalo National Wilderness area in northwestern Arkansas, especially in the spring when the Buffalo River is high. My last float trip was 2 leisurely days long and I didn't see a single human being the entire time. (Go during the week.)

If you end up coming through the center of the country let me know and we'll get together.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”