Thread: Video Editors, I've Got a Monitor for You

Fresh Paint

Default Video Editors, I've Got a Monitor for You

Go check out the Panasonic BT-LS1400. I just picked one up, and it's awesome. Color is insane, all the features you need (underscan, blue, multiple inputs).

Comes in a nice steel framework, multiple mounting options, S-Video/Coax Audio/Composite BNCs and you couldn't find a more field-ready piece of equipment...I've vowed never to lug around another 50 pound beast again after getting this beauty.

Only negs are that the two tinny speakers definiately aren't for your listening pleasure, but most times what video editor is checking sound through their monitor's speakers? Answer = 0

Great buy! If you feel the need, I picked mine up for $895 through VideoTex Systems (www.videotexsystems.com), and B&H has it for $1,029. Good folks to do business with either way, they jump through hoops to get you the equipment you need.

That's it. I'll try to post some action shots of it later.-Lothar

Water Cooled

$1000 for a 14" monitor? you can get a 24" widescreen for that price.

Fresh Paint

Would your $1000 panel be 'ok' if I dropped it out of a moving vehicle? Would it survive JFK's "baggage handlers 'o doom" without taking it as a carry-on, or would you be biting your nails wondering if it's going to make it ok?

Even if you put it in a fancy case and packed it up tight, it still wouldn't hold a candle to this monitor because it's not equipped with the features necessary for professional broadcast video, my man.

Sure, I could have cheaped out and got another panel, but the refresh rate probably would've been terrible and I would have had only one input, not three...plus, I don't see you average LCD screen being upgradeable as video formats change, unlike professional monitors such as this which have the ability to take add-in boards to adjust to new standards.

I don't see a widescreen monitor as being good for this kind of application, unless you're shooting 16:9 natively...personally, I shoot std. 4:3 and wouldn't want a client to be looking at stretched video just because the monitor does it that way. I want the client to see what's going to be on the TV screen, which this monitor does well.

Feel free to compare apples to apples:

https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro...lcdmoniors.pdf

I personally don't edit HD yet, so the 1400 was a good fit...for those who do, the 1500 seems like the way to go.
    Last edited by The Lotharian; 04-02-2005 at 11:42 AM.

Water Cooled

im not into video editing and professional stuff. most of the people dont need any more than one or maybe two input, and if you need more you can always plug it in the videocard with inputs. its a nice monitor but for me and i think for 90% of the people it would be money thrown out the window.

Overclocked

It's a heavy duty monitor. If it suits your purpose, that's great. I don't think most people need something like that, but if I was in the market, your tirade sold me just like Kumar sold me on White Castle.
    -=-=-=-=-
    When computers collide, Bob is born
    And remember, boys and girls, it's better to say nothing, if that's what you know.