Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daisy-Chaining Routers

Default Daisy-Chaining Routers

I've read that this is possible, but when I tried it no joy. I think I have to find a way to set the first router in the chain to "default gateway" and the second to "router". I haven't found those options yet but will continue looking for them. I don't have the model numbers atm, but the primary is a Linksys wireless B and the secondary is a Netgear MIMO. Anyone does this stuff before?
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Default Re: Daisy-Chaining Routers

Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn View Post
    I think I have to find a way to set the first router in the chain to "default gateway" and the second to "router".
    Yes, that is what needs to be done, on the linksys the mode option should be on the main administrative page, no clue about the netgear (I've only worked with linksys/cisco routers).

I got it working. Never did find those specific settings but the key was disconnecting the secondary router, then turning DHCP off for the secondary and on for the primary, lastly changing the IP address from the default 168.921.1.1 on my secondary router. Then connecting both the secondary computer and the line from the primary router into LAN ports (not the WAN port). Now it's working.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn View Post
    lastly changing the IP address from the default 168.921.1.1 on my secondary router.
    You mean from 192.168.1.1, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by mtekk View Post
    You mean from 192.168.1.1, correct?
    pfft...yeah, can't type through my dislexia today it seems.

Dyslexia.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Good job jdbnsn sounds like someone needs an 8 port switch. Networking is fun.
    Need a sig

OH.. OK. I get it now.. simon made it clear for me. You want to have as many ports as possible, but all you have is 2 - 4 port routers correct?

I thought you were trying to run 2 routers in series.

Internet->router1-> router 2 -> PC.

This is actually as easy as setting the second router to assign IP's in a completely different subnet.. that's all the config you need.

But yeah, for what you are doing, just disable DHCP on router 2, and run a jumper from a port on router 1 to a port on router 2.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Just so that you all know, daisy chaining routers will decrease network performance. Routers are inherently slower than a switches, most residential "routers" are really a three way router, one port goes to the "Internet", one to the wireless radio and the other to a 5 port switch, which you see as the four ports on the back of the "router". It's much faster to just use a cross over cable between two of the switch ports, still a bottleneck, but not as bad as the "internet"/WAN port that goes through the routing hardware.

Yes, you can subnet it up, or use 192.168.1.0/24 for one network and 192.168.2.0/24 for the other (all depends on how many nodes you'll have on your network). Well basically you have to use at least one of them as routers "bridge networks" and are OSI level 3 devices so they are IP aware (hence slow), switches are OSI level 2 devices, they are not IP aware (they use MAC addresses to make the appropriate connections).