Thread: Crossfire card temp differences?

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Default Crossfire card temp differences?

I'm running two HD 4670 cards in Crossfire, each with the exact same cooler. Bit for some reason GPU-Z shows a 20-degree difference in temp between them, with the one my monitor is actually plugged into running hotter. Is this normal? I thought Crossfire utilized both cards, regardless of which was actually sending the signal to the monitor?

Edit: Ok, this looks like a software issue. The instant I start rthdribl to stress it, the temp jumps 18 degrees on the primary card. The instant I shut it down those extra degrees vanish. Is GPU-Z this buggy? Can anyone reccomend a good temp-monitoring program for ATI cards? I loved Nvtemp with my old card, it was simple, unobtrusive, and effective, but I haven't found anything like it for ATI.
    Last edited by blueonblack; 03-08-2009 at 01:40 AM.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Default Re: Crossfire card temp differences?

Quote Originally Posted by blueonblack View Post
    I'm running two HD 4670 cards in Crossfire, each with the exact same cooler. Bit for some reason GPU-Z shows a 20-degree difference in temp between them, with the one my monitor is actually plugged into running hotter. Is this normal? I thought Crossfire utilized both cards, regardless of which was actually sending the signal to the monitor?

Edit: Ok, this looks like a software issue. The instant I start rthdribl to stress it, the temp jumps 18 degrees on the primary card. The instant I shut it down those extra degrees vanish. Is GPU-Z this buggy? Can anyone reccomend a good temp-monitoring program for ATI cards? I loved Nvtemp with my old card, it was simple, unobtrusive, and effective, but I haven't found anything like it for ATI.
    The new ATI Catalyst Control Center with the built in overclocking functions will give you a current GPU temperature reading on the overclocking page (I mildly OC'd my 4830 to 600MHz and my temps stay under 55C).

Overclocked

Default Re: Crossfire card temp differences?

also the heat from 1 card rise heating the one on top more also under load unless the program is cf cablable you could be rendering most things off 1 card only.. since 2 isnt always used..