Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: American Muscle

ATX Mental Case

Cool American Muscle

[This was posted in the Rookie's section and recieved no responses. I only now realized that I had it posted in the wrong place. ]

Ok, My next project is going to be to put some life back into my old case that I am using now. It's a decent case IMO. Had it for nearly 3 years now and it has outlived 2 mobo's, an HDD, and 3 CD/DVD-ROM drives. Don't ask me how either, I just don't know. It refuses to die...

So anyway, here's the case:

Yes, I am going to completely rewire the case and make all of the wires as hidden as possible. Now, lets get crackin'

I'm a car nut. When I'm not thinking about my PC, I'm thinking about my cars. That's when the idea to combine the two hit me. I'd like to crate a Chevy themed box.

A few ideas for it that I had:

1. Cut the Chevy bow-tie out of the side panel and then place a plaxi panel behind it, maybe acrylic, and hook up an few LEDs to it, making it light up nice and purty.

2. Those two blue, screen strips that you see on the front of the case, put either long cathodes or a string of LEDs in each (there's one on each side of the face) show they shine out the front.

3. Get a new, chrome powersupply, maybe build a custom housing for it, but definitely chrome.

4. Strip the case and paint it to match my car (which is being painted metallic blue).

5. Maybe, where I have the two extra bays on the face, I could bondo that up and then maybe place an old SS emblem on there or something to that effect.

If you guys can think of anything that may go along with the theme, or any cool ideas that you'd like to see someone try, just for the fun of it. Let me know.

Thanks,

AceX

Default Re: American Muscle

pin stripes are a must

If it refused to die, turn it on and dunk it in a bucket of water. That will kill it!!

Steel Braid .. Got to have steal braiding .. what would also be kewl.. if you did a water cooling setup .. to have Aeroquip fittings like these..

Would be cool.. Spark plug boots at the end of wires.. I have thought about this too.. There are tons of stuff in the autoparts stores to feed the imagination.. I think it will be really slick.. Looking forward to seeing it come to life!!

Quote Originally Posted by crenn
    If it refused to die, turn it on and dunk it in a bucket of water. That will kill it!!
    Make sure its soapy water!

ATX Mental Case

Hmm... I like the liquid cooling idea, but mounting a rad. unit, reservoir, and then the plumbing, seems like alot of work and money. I could do it, that isn't the issue here, I'm just wondering if it is worth it?

Also, steel braiding is expensive when compared to other methods of sleeving, but I will ask my uncle (who has two award winning hot rods) where I might be able to find some for real cheap.

Back to the liquid cooling:
    I could use the two vacant drive bays to mount the rad. unit and maybe a fan in the middle of it, it could be mouted on a shroud, so it would be right in the center of the rad. unit.

Dammit Overide, you got me thinkin again (guess I should be thanking you, but I will instead curse you... >_> ).

Ok, I'm going to look into the liquid cooling a little more, and the steel braiding, see if I can't find some Earl's hose fittings.

Can you guys think of any actual car pats that might look good? I already went out and bought an air filter assembly and rigged it up just like the Boss mustang build that's going on.

ATX Mental Case

chrome, chrome, did someone say pin strips?, more chrome, a door handle to open the side panel, some more chrome, exhaust pipes, and even more chrome.... lol...there are lots of little things you could do with a car theme...make some badass fan grills that look like a hot set of rims...stuff like that...god luck can't wait to see what you come up with!!!
    where are you?

fact: different = abnormal
    observation: everyone is different, therefore everyone is abnormal
    conclusion: there is no normal, express yourself

I can't see the picture of the case from work but I have 2 thoughts

1) if you want a chrome psu.....check this out http://www.xoxide.com/ultra-x-connect-power-supply.html its the psu i have and i absolutely love it and it also looks great....there are several others both beefier and slimmer (wattage wise) in the same line that have the same great look
    2) If you are doing a chevy theme...get that bowtie in there for sure but also try and work in some chevy orange somewheres

ATX Mental Case

I'm looking around inside the case to see where else I can incorporate chrome bits, so stay tuned for that. I'm trying to male sure that there isn't too much chrome because the more chrome, the more time it takes to maintain it.

As for the orange: The engine for my truck is painted that same color. Lots of chrome bits on it too. I'll see what I can do, trying to keep it really clean and simple, no really wild colors and lighting.

OH! it just hit me for the exhaust! I'll get a couple fans and some exhaust tips and fit them to the side of the case, down at the bottom, giving me 2 additional fans and a cool effect when the lighting comes out the side exhaust pipes.

I've also ditched the liquid cooling idea. Although a VERY good idea and however much it would help with the theme, it would require far too much time/money. I am still, however, looking for some cheap stainless braided line to use as sleeving.

EDIT: Is it alright if you paint a heatsink with hightemp paint?

tell us your budget and we'll realy be able to help you.