Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Teaching Microscope Table

Default Teaching Microscope Table

I have been picking up project work from one of my old employers, the Shawnee Co. Coroner. He recently asked me to build a small table to mount his teaching microscope on. He wanted the table to be non-metal, cheap, stable enough not to tip over (because people need to be able to look into the scope from both sides of the table, it needed to be narrow), and have a way of using wheels to move it but not be on wheels as it's full time feet. So I have a design planned out for the table and the drop-able wheels, first thing to do is work out the math.

This is math, please double check it for errors...

I picked up a sheet of MDF and 4 caster wheels. Then following the measurements cut out some of the main pieces...

Nest I countersank the outer holes for the support beams and screwed them to the side panels...

And here is a shot with the top lying on it...

"At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Default Re: Teaching Microscope Table

Table looks awesome so far, the design is great. You are a good guy to help out with stuff like this.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Very nice work, simple and looks very sturdy. The math made me smile, thanks. +rep
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

A big old Tease Apparently DonT-FeaR's Avatar

squinting is hard... im sure your math is right..
    Last edited by SgtM; 03-11-2009 at 09:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    you tease!

Well he changed the specs on me mid-build so I had to cut some new braces to extend the table out to 36". I also had to use the last good piece of MDF to cut the new top so the rest of this sucka is going to be from scraps.

I added a third brace for extra stability, and it is off center because he wants to cut a hole beneath the scope which will be mounted. That way he can change the bulbs from under the table rather than dismounting the scope.

Those edges mounted along the inner base will be the platform for the wheels.

I started making a model for the wheels he requested. He wanted them retractable so when not in use the table would not be resting on them, but on a flat surface. So I needed a way to snap them down into place when the table is being moved. I used the same style of mechanism as most table saws or mobile garage equipment, just had to make sure the measurements and angles worked out right. I'm going to the hardware store tonight to find some sort of bearings or bushings to keep them from eroding over repetitive use. Here is what I've got so far...

"At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Very cool Jon, looks like a winner to me!

A big old Tease Apparently DonT-FeaR's Avatar

to right looking good mate
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    you tease!

Man you are stepping up the construction skills lately! Good job!

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Thanks fellas!

Got some more work done.

Here is the table with it's new 36" hat...

I've been working on getting the wheel-mounts built. The bottom part first, I chose to use stainless steel for the main mounting frame with a smaller piece cut and bolted under the wheel base plate to give it the needed lift so that he wheels clear the screws when it spins. I wanted the top to be smooth non-rigid so I covered it with a cut piece of the polycarbonate scrap. Then I used some old pieces of U-channel aluminum strips bolted to the stainless steel as the hinge mechanism. I counter-sank the holes so the foot pedal's ridge can slide well. I need to pick up some more screws to finish the fourth but three of them are done. Here are some pics...