Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setting up an FTP service

Default Setting up an FTP service

Hey, I just got a NAS storage drive setup on my network. its a Lacie Network Space 500gb drive. I use it to share pictures and music between my home computer, my wife and son's computer and my laptop.

While I was setting it up, it asks if you would like to enable FTP service on it. But I can't figure out how to access it though ftp. Don't I need some sort of FTP address for it? I tried to enter the ip Address into ftp://........ but all that brought up was the two shared folders on the drive. when i click on them, it appears as if the folders are empty. No folders or files are shown.
    Do I need to enable some sort of sharing on the drive?

By the way, the instructions were worthless.

Thanks.

Default Re: Setting up an FTP service

How are you connecting to the FTP? Using a browser, or a dedicated FTP client?

Maybe try connecting from a command prompt, and setting the transfer mode to Binary.

IE: FTP (ip)
    User: username
    Password: password

At the next prompt, type bin
    This will set the transfer mode to binary. Now do a dir or ls to list the contents. CD commands will change the directory, just like in dos.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Thanks. I'm trying to use FileZilla. -we use it at work so I'm familar with it. but for some reason I can't get it to connect. I'm entering the correct IP address, and the user name/passsword, but it won't connect. Would it possible that my router is not letting it work? Maybe a port setting.

Obviously, I'm not exactly a genious when it comes to networking

If you are trying to ftp into the NAS from within the same network, then it's unlikely that the router would be interfering at all. Can you SMB browse the shares on the NAS from the same computer? (ie: \\nas-ip\sharename)

After applying the settings on the NAS, did you have to reboot it to make them take effect? Might be worth rebooting it just to test.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    If you are trying to ftp into the NAS from within the same network, then it's unlikely that the router would be interfering at all. Can you SMB browse the shares on the NAS from the same computer? (ie: \\nas-ip\sharename)

After applying the settings on the NAS, did you have to reboot it to make them take effect? Might be worth rebooting it just to test.
    I'm trying to connect from work. my NAS is at home. So it might be possible that the router is blocking it.
    Not sure what SMB browse is. Sorry for my ignorance. LOL
    Yes It did ask to reboot and I did that.

Ah ok, then if you are trying to get to it from work, set up a port forward on your router for Port 21 to the internal IP of the NAS. That should be all that you need to access it from outside.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

I should also stress the importance of secure passwords for the ftp service, otherwise "unwanted" access or exploitation may occur.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

Hey, I talked to a friend tonight, and he said I need to be searching for the IP address of my cable modem. Not the ip of the NAS. he said the router should automatically look for "FTP" on my network and whateever equipment responds, it should connect to it.

So I went to www.whatismyip.com and put that in instead. and All I got was this error.
    Connection attempt failed with "ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server".
    Error: Could not connect to server

Not sure what this means.

thanks for you help by the way, Luke.

Yes, sorry I didnt mention that! Since you'll only see the wan IP of the router from work, you would use that as the IP address. Default port for FTP connections is 21, so as long as you have the router port forwarded to the internal IP of the NAS, and the FTP enabled on the NAS, you should be good to go.

If you are getting a connection refused error there is either a problem with the port forward, or the NAS. Does the NAS have an error log you can check to see if the connection attempt actually got that far?

Can you FTP into the NAS from home?
    Have you checked the router error log for the connection attempt?
    Does your router have a "Virtual Server" option rather than port forwarding? Try that too..
    umm.. Disable and re-enable the FTP service on the NAS?

I'll think of more..

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

Ok, thanks. I'll give those a try tonight. I have to check the port forwarding settings.