Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu handicapable

Default Ubuntu handicapable

I'm having a hell of a time with this damned thing. I've never worked with linux before, granted, but how difficult does this have to be? Now I have downloaded 3 different versions of the iso and still don't have an OS to show for it. The first was ubuntu server 8.10, when that didn't work I used the ubuntu alternative version, now I'm trying ubuntu LTS and still nothing. I've taken the hard drive out and deleted the partitions then formatted in both NT and FAT and nothing. BIOS does recognize there is a drive there but whenever I try running the install disks it loads a command line interface called "Busybox". Anyone here know what the hell I'm doing wrong? I've tried loking in ubuntu's documentation and I can't find a solution.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Re: Ubuntu handicapable

Thats weird. From my experience, its just a matter of popping in the CD and after the computer does some booting up it pops up an install screen for ubuntu with multiple options. Like install ubuntu, or run ubuntu off of the disc, etc.

Maybe you have to enable booting from disc in the bios or something like that?
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

I guess I didn't describe the install very well. When I boot with any of the discs in the drive, I do get the initial options menu screen where I first select my language and then select "install ubuntu". After that, I get the ubuntu splash screen with a crolling activity bar, after a few moments it crashes to the busybox screen.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

What hardware are you trying to install on? I've only installed Ubuntu once, on a AMD-K6-2 400 in a laptop with 96MiB ram, it was literally follow the prompts (I have much more experience installing Gentoo on VMs and real hardware).
    Quote Originally Posted by xRyokenx View Post
    ...I'm getting tired of not being able to figure this crap out because it's apparently made for computer-illiterate people by computer-illiterate people. lol

Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn View Post
    I guess I didn't describe the install very well. When I boot with any of the discs in the drive, I do get the initial options menu screen where I first select my language and then select "install ubuntu". After that, I get the ubuntu splash screen with a crolling activity bar, after a few moments it crashes to the busybox screen.
    Ohhhh... I see. You know, I've actually had that problem before now that I think about it! But I can't remember how I fixed it. lol

At the time I was using really crappy discs, but even when I used a quality one I still had the same problem. Trying to think what I did after that...

ooh, I think I might of fixed it by swapping out the CD-ROM drive with another drive. I remember doing that. Not sure if it was the solution though.

I also remember figuring out my hard drive was some sort of messed up. Either broken or corrupted or something. That might be the problem too? I can't remember if I swapped out the hard drives or not, I've gone though so many of them. lol

CURSES BRAIN! Why won't you work! Maybe I got a corrupted memory brain cell? lol
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Does running Ubuntu straight off of the disc work?

You may want to check if you are running AHCI sata mode in the bios. I dont know if this applies to Ubuntu but I have to run IDE mode for XP to run and install. I havent tried changing it back since i put Ubuntu on my laptop. Just an FYI, AHCI allows you to hot swap sata drives so you wont be able to do so once you set it to IDE.

Click here for the Battlefield 2 L.A.N. Pc worklog.

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

System specs please. We'll make a geek out of you yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Haha, thanks guys. I've set this one aside for the time being. When I get the table built for the coroner's microscopes and get my PC set back up I'll jump back on this project and post all the hardware specs so you can help me follow the yellow geek road.

Dban the drive first. Make sure it's completely wiped, and unformatted. One of the problems you're having is using an NTFS formatted drive. Linux won't read/write to NTFS without using SAMBA, so when you're trying to install, it gets confused, and just hangs. If you're wanting something with a GUI, stay away from Ununtu Server. It's CLI only.