Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu handicapable

Default Re: Ubuntu handicapable

Well, I'm setting up a webserver and I understand that Ubuntu Server will make it much easier for me by installing all of the necessary components. But I also understand that I can use regular ubuntu and just install the extra stuff later. A GUI would be much easier for me especially since I'm totally unfamiliar with linux commands so if I went that route, what else would I need to install?

BTW_ Curtis mentioned Dban to me the other day and said that your had good experience with it, so I may just do that.

As soon as the microscope table is finished I'm hitting this full force, I was getting too irritated bouncing from one project to the other while both were giving me problems. It's taking me much longer than I had hoped to get the table done, but ever since I started paying attention to modder's work I've found that I am getting to be more of a perfectionist! Damn you little over achievers!
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Cool, easy enough. Using Ubuntu for a web server is a breeze, though I do prefer Fedora. Basically all you do is install the OS, and then build the rest of the LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) from there, via the command line. It's real easy. "sudo apt-get install apache2" is what you'll run to install apache, your http server. 'sudo apt-get install mysql" for mysql.. you get the idea. From there, it's all a matter of configuration. The default directory for your sites will be /home/whatever_the_user_is. There are some really great tutorials on the net for installing LAMPs with Fedora and Ubuntu, but I'll help you out with whatever you need. I still have my Fedora LAMP in my shop. It's just unplugged.

Anodized

First thing first.
    We can wonder around and think what is wrong but without specs, you know.

Take in mind what Zephik wrote.
    Since I cleaned my dvd drive live cd starts much faster.
    Last time with my 9550 ATI card due to somewhat drivers issues live-cd took light years to start up.
    There might be something wrong with card or drive its self. NTFS partitions shouldn't be much problem I think. Installer(gparted in this case afair) should be able to reformat hdd/partitions to other format.
    Installer seems hangin up then check cd for errors too.

Server, LTS, alternate.
    Those are different distros. I strongly suggest to go with 8.04 HH Ubuntu. It's Long Time/Term Support ( LTS). So updates will be avilable for 3 years and 5 for servers. Not as for other version of distro - 1.5 ( AFAIR).
    Check out this.
    AFAIR altarnate has this semi text install proces. Like in screenshots from link above. I realy prefer this way of installing things. Live cd of Ubuntu is like 100 years behind banana-republics compared to Knoppix - loading full enviroment to install distro is stupid to me anyway.

Last thing.
    You rather be friend with terminal. It won't bite, trust me. Terminal, next to google, is best friend of admin.
    You can install things via GUI or command line.
    I prefer second. Faster and easier way to search and install things.
    Code:
    sudo aptitude search [name]
    To find app/lib names you need. Then simple apt-get install name.

Good luck. From my expierience - stop thinking Windows-way in even Ubunty. I only got frustrated by this.

Code:
    ar -r God

Sorry I haven't been updating this thread, I set this project aside to get the microscope table done. Now it's done and delivered so this is back on the front burner. I was able to wipe the HDD using dBan as SgtM suggested. My next move will be to figure out which version of linux is the best suited for my plan. The machine I'm installing it on is a Dell PowerEdge SC420. He wants this to be a webserver/mail server. I'll get started on this tomorrow probably, just put in a 12 hr days with no breaks so I'm pretty wiped out tonight. Thanks for all the great advice so far guys, and keep in mind that I'm completely new to linux so much of the stuff you're telling me doesn't make sense yet, I have to learn the basics I guess.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

So Jon, you're setting up a webserver? If that's the case, I'd download the Server version (release doesn't really matter all that much, I've had good luck with all of them). My reason for this - you have the option to have it installed as a LAMP right from boot, no software selection required. After it's set up correctly as a LAMP (which it does itself) it's just a matter of running "sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop" for the GUI.
    RIP Bucko

Still the same story. No matter what I do, or which version I use I try to install and sometimes it looks like it was successful and other times clearly not but before it will load after installation it crashed to Busybox with a command prompt (initramfs) It seems that the disk drive can't be found after install. I'm reading up on this but if anyone has any other ideas not listed in this thread already, please help.

BTW- I used dban between each installation. To answer Zephik's question "does it work direct from CD?", yes, I can load to the ubuntu desktop by selecting "try ubuntu without any changes to your computer". I haven't messed around with this much but I'm loaded there now and I am going to try to make sense of this from here.
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 04-11-2009 at 01:47 PM.

I just don't get it, how could working with linux be this difficult???? I keep hearing about how great linux is, what horse ****!

I've got the madcow, what's your excuse? Bopher's Avatar

I had a heck of a time trying to get it to install from the disk to my laptop. What I tried and I don't know if it will work for you is had to install from my thumb drive. Unfortuanly I have to stuff to use in windows for work and couldn't get Wine to play nice with it so I had to go back to XP. I'm going to be watching this though because I really want to change my file server around to be a web server instead. UNetbootin really helping getting Ubuntu to run from the USB drive for install. Maybe give that a try.

"Technical neglect is one of the worst kinds of neglect, won't you sponsor an octal or adsl2 card so they can someday grow up into big capable adsl2+ cards? random celebrity does."

I tried that already and no matter how I install it the result is the same, crash to BusyBox. The issue may have something to so with a delay setting (either ubuntu isn't waiting long enough for the hardware or vice versa). Anyway, I can type exit to pass this stage which I didn't know until a long internet search. So now, I'm formatting with dban again and going to go all the way back to the original plan, setup with server edition using CLI. We'll see if I have any more luck this time.

Well after much heartache and many attempts, I finally got it working! Turns out the server edition I downloaded last time wasn't really server edition. I downloaded another copy and installed it and for the most part it seems to be functioning correctly with ehcp. Now I need to finish the website files and figure out how to configure this puppy.