Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xbox 360 update problem.

Where the hell is the "any" key? HackSore's Avatar

Default Xbox 360 update problem.

I rigged up my xbox 360 to my network last night to share my media, mainly video, and when i tried to play video, it told me i need the media update.
    Now i cant sign in to xbox live as it says its banned for a terms of service violation (bought the maching second hand, so i dont know the reason for the banning).
    So i downloaded the update and put it on a flash drive, the xbox ran the update, but told me it couldnt download the files.
    so i tried again but the update program on the xbox wouldnt start, i have tried everything, including burning the update to a disc, but the update program on the xbox just will not load, and the update hasnt been applied.
    Any ideas on what could be wrong?

Also, if this is in the wrong section, please move it!

Default Re: Xbox 360 update problem.

Have you got anything on the hard drive that you need to save? If not, a format would clear the drive completely, and hopefully resolve any issues from the previous owner... unless it's YOUR live account that has been banned. A quick way to test would be to create a new live account, and sign in with that. Also, you get 1 month of free Gold membership with new accounts so that's a win too.

If you have data you need on the drive like save games, get a MU and save games to that before doing the format.

To format the Xbox360 hdd:

1. Start your Xbox 360 console without a disc in the disc tray.
    2. In the System section of the Xbox 360 Dashboard, select Memory to view the Storage Devices area.
    3. In the Storage Devices area, select Hard Drive if you want to format the hard drive or other storage device, and then press the Y button on your Xbox 360 controller or on the remote control.
    4. In the Device Options area, select Format. You receive the following message:
    This will delete all content on this device. Do you want to continue?
    5. To format your Xbox 360 Hard Drive, select Yes.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

I was thinking of formatting the drive, im hoping it will work as a last resort.

its not my account that is banned, I signed up for a live account, but i cant seem to sign in to it, i use the join xbox live button and it just says that i cant connect.

How are you physically connected to the internet? Ethernet cable from the xbox to a switch/router?

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

Yeah, ethernet to router, tried formatting the drive, no luck, i've tried using the recover gamertag option to use the xbox live profile i created, but it tells me i cant connect. When i check the live settings, everything comes up fine until xbox live, which always fails, and tells me im banned for TOS violation.

Im not at all bothered about xbox live, i just really want to be able watch the stuff from my computer through the xbox.

Is your Xbox modded in any way? I know there are some firmware hacks that allow backup games to be played, maybe yours has been done? You said you bought it second hand..

*Edit* ALSO.. 360s are uniquely ID'd on live, so they can prevent people who get banned from starting new accounts. You may have to contact Live support to get this sorted out. (I replaced my xbox and kept the same hdd so I could play my paid for games, but they wouldnt work! I had to contact support to get them to move the game licenses to the new xbox.)

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

Nope, unmodded, i have checked.
    I just dont understand why the update program started fine the first time, failed, and now wont even load when the machine is plugged in with the disc or flash drive connected.

Ok, finally got the update to work, burned it to a dvd, it updated fine, all the dashboard and stuff has changed, and its still telling me i need a media update before i can play my videos.

I R Angry.

I've got the madcow, what's your excuse? Bopher's Avatar

I want to say that is in another update. When I setup my 360 it did the new dashboard first then on another update I did the media update. I can go back through my memory card and see if its still there for you if you want.

"Technical neglect is one of the worst kinds of neglect, won't you sponsor an octal or adsl2 card so they can someday grow up into big capable adsl2+ cards? random celebrity does."

Yeah, if its possible for me to burn it and update that would be awesome if you could upload it somewhere for me!

And for now i have it working with TVirsity, but due to the on-the-fly encoding, its not ideal.