Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Custom 5.25" flip out monitor

Default Re: Custom 5.25" flip out monitor

Why what? Why would I need the screen? I can't very well build a device to house and move the screen if I don't have it with me.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Fresh Paint

Okay but I would need to know what you will be doing to it. What work and what parts.. And most importantly as you have other projects at the moment, when could you have it done by?

Well, I can't start right away. Give me a week or two to get some of these other jobs done so I can dedicate my full attention to the project. Aside from the screen, the only other major parts I can think of would be the actuator itself. The rest would just be aluminum rails which are cheap and wiring, small expenses. You should shop around for both the screen and actuator and send me the info and I'll tell you if they look like they would work right, and when the time comes also send me one of your drive bay covers so i can use it as a cover to match your case.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Fresh Paint

You will have to pick the actuator. Try ebay.
    Can you give me an idea of what maximum dimensions for the screen?
    Will it need to have vga as standard or would you be able to rewire it?
    Are you able to make it use all its power from the power supply, like the thermaltake?
    Will it be able to be motorised with one press of a button or will it require holdin a switch?
    And how do you plan to make it to fold back into itself?

Fresh Paint

I will buy the parts and send them to you then

Quote Originally Posted by toco123 View Post
    You will have to pick the actuator. Try ebay.
    Okay, I'll buy the parts needed to build the device when i get to that point.

Can you give me an idea of what maximum dimensions for the screen?
    Look at total width of the unit (because the frame around the screen is the limiting factor) and it will need to be around 5", that is only giving me a 1/4" space to build guide rails but I think it's enough.

Will it need to have vga as standard or would you be able to rewire it?

Most of the small screens I've seen use a yellow RCA connection, VGA would also work, or S-video. Before you buy a screen send me a link to it and I'll tell you if I think it'll work.

Are you able to make it use all its power from the power supply, like the thermaltake?
    That shouldn't be a problem.

Will it be able to be motorised with one press of a button or will it require holdin a switch?
    whichever you want.

And how do you plan to make it to fold back into itself?
    I still have to get at least two major projects done before I start this, but when the time comes I'll make it a worklog so you can view the progress and design.

Fresh Paint

I understand your present situation concerning your current projects.

Postage as mentioned above may be a possible obstacle, so if you pick a suitable actuator and when i pick a monitor, i can purchase them and have them sent directly to your delivery address.

This way we can easily decide on a fair price developed by the quality and labour involved.

Agreed. I may actually wait until I've started designing and building to choose the actuator, in the event that a servo is better suited. I'll let you know when I'm ready to start.

Fresh Paint

I just sent a PM!