Thread: CoolIT PC

Default CoolIT PC

Hello,
    after the BS-Baumstamm and the Sinuskurve I wanted present you my latest project „CoolIT PC“. And before I begin with the project log of this case I wanted to apologize that I give you a complete project log and not several updates during the time I build the PC. The reason for this is, that the case had to be ready till the start of the CeBIT, and the time wasn´t really long, so I hadn´t a lot of time to write a project log.
    I hope you accept the apology and I undertake to make a “real” worklog when I´ll start with my next project!

And now it´s time to start with the worklog. Aim of this PC was to build a PC with a coolingsystem of CoolIT systems. The Case should be a big eye catcher at the CeBIT and should show the visitors at the first view how good the cooling system of CoolIT work.
    With this end in mind I made some sketches how the case should look like at the end.

I know this sketches are more than bad, because at this time I couldn´t control any CAD-program. But in the first semester of study (product design @ Bauhaus University Weimar) I learned something about controlling a CAD-program. So the “sketches” of my next project will be even better than this.

Ready with the sketches and a plan I started to build the “inner case”. To this I bought at first 5 pieces of MDF on which I marked all parts that had to be cut out

And so looked the case after I cut out something and compilated it

Well but when I got the Boreas MTEC Chiller from CoolIt systems I had to rework my plan because of the size of it, how you could see at the following pic

After that rework I built at first the reservoir for the cooling circulation made of Plexiglas

In the front of the reservoir came icicles (made of Plexiglas, too) that you could see how cool the water in the reservoir is.

And with a blind made of MDF it looks so

Ready with this I started with the thing (I don´t know the name of it) in which I put in the mainboard blind and screw the PCI-Cards in tight. At first I try to build it with aluminum, but during I bend it the aluminum breached

So I decided to build it with Plexiglas, I know it takes longer, but it could breach…;-) At first I cut all the plates into shape

After that I conglutinated and screw it together

By doing this, the next part was ready.

Next was a shiny “ice floe” which is the socket for the pump. For this I made at first a 5mm Plexiplate in which I put some blue LEDs

This plate I inserted in the bottom of the inner case

And so looked it in the end

Up next I pottered at the 15 fans in the back of the case. The “problem” was that a fans should be adjustable (5V and 12V). But when I let the fans run at 5V the LEDs would shine. So I had to solder the LEDs to an separate electric circuit that didn´t overlap with the circuit of the fans. At the following picture you see at the left side the original fan and at the ride side the fan after my “solder work”

This isn´t really time-consuming, if you had only one fans, but if you have 15 fans lasts…;-) Well after I separated the circuits I soldered all 15 fans, and 60 LEDs together and screwed it on a plate made of Plexiglas.

And so looked the case before I pained it

During the color dried I build a little case for the MTEC Control Center and on HDD, expectedly made of Plexiglas

Although nobody see it in the end I lacquered it despite with a kind of water drop visual effect

How it looked after the install of the MTEC Control Center could you see at the following picture

Also I modded a little bit the pump with a shiny CoolIT symbol and put a glowstick made of Plexiglas and 8 superflux LEDs into the Boreas Chiller.

Well, all these several things together pattern the “inner case” of the CoolIT PC. And how it looked in addition see you at the next two pictures

And now we´ll come to the “outer case”. It started how the “inner case” with some plates made of MDF (only a little bit bigger). To mark the things I had to cut out better I screw it together

After I cut out the holes for the CoolIT systems logos and the window I built the elements for the illumination of these.

The next pictures show you how the case looked with these elements, and the “icy-frame” for the window

Next I cut out the hole for the LCD in the front. How the big window, the LCD got also a “icy-frame”

After I was ready with all the holes I glued some MDF remains of the case which I trowel filled at the end. Why I did this – well I thing so it looks more irregular and therefore more like nature.

…and yes, I had the same doubting look how you after I was ready with this work step. But this was the point of no return.

The relaxation came fortunately with a color…

Unfortunately I interfere with the time, and so I forgot to make some pictures of the electronics in the “outer-case”…:-(:-(:-(

But for all how had read this project log which is written in really bad “English” is here the reward

Concluding I wanted to say that this mod (#6) would be my last mod. And I have already some new plans (CAD) for a new PC at my PC. The only problem is that I gradually haven´t now money but a lot of passion for a new PC. So if somebody wanted a unique PC from me or want to sponsor my new project …please send me a mail, before I incinerate in my passion!!!

Best Reagrds from Germany Dominic Heiße

Link To Original Worklog
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 03-20-2009 at 08:34 PM.