Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: iTouch Box Coil Gun

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Default Re: iTouch Box Coil Gun

That guy put much more thought into his than I did mine. Thanks for the link.+rep

A big old Tease Apparently DonT-FeaR's Avatar

good work telling me that the cameras are free... now im gunna kill myself trying to make one thanks tho
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    you tease!

Please be careful. when you take the camera apart do not touch any thing on the circuit board until you short the leads of the capacitor with a screwdriver. Be prepared for a big spark and a loud pop. If it doesn't work the first time try it again making sure the 2 leads are shorted. If you want to be absolutely positive that its empty use a multimeter on the leads. Negative goes to the side with the big stripe.

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

This is a pretty cool project. +subscription

lol cheers yeah they hurt when they zap you
    you tease!

This is a simi final update. Meaning that the electronics and construction is finished. (I still need to get 10 more of the 330v 80uF capacitors and build the second bank) But other than that the only thing left to do is cosmetics. When the bank is finished I plan on wrapping the bank with a graphic designed by you that warns of high voltage and the risk of death. More on that in a minute.

Ok so I am on my 4th charging board because I was trying to over power the board with 2 AAA. So I needed a single AA holder. Still sticking to my goal of building this with what I had I found a 4 AA holder and cut it down to size. Sorry I have no photos of the full piece, but I forgot to put the card in the camera for the first 4 shots. So here is the AA holder rough cut.

It was a tad over-sized and was taking up valuable space so I broke out the old piece of plexi and sand paper and sanded the sides down.

Rounded the corners and used a lighter to remove all the fuzz.

I used hot glue to secure the AA holder to the base.

I needed a switch to turn the charging board off so it was not always charging the cap bank. A simple rocker switch will do the trick. Wait... It needs a hole.

I did not have a good photo of the hole cut out so this will have to do. In this photo you can also see that I have soldered and heat shrunk the leads of the switch and wires leading to the board.

This is a shot of the iPod Touch case all sealed up and everything in place. The Battery holder and board are held in place by hot glue. The cap bank is just there until I can get enough of the proper sized caps to finish the bank. The case is held together by Duck Crystal Clear packing tape.

Another shot of the case all closed up.

This is my favorite shot of the week and I have taken a lot of bridal and senior portraits this week. I charged the cap bank up and put 2 pieces of 18awg wire on the binding post. Then held one in place with my helping hands. Grabbed the other with some insulated needle nose pliers. With camera in hand I pressed the shutter button and then touched the leads at the same time. The stuff you see flying away is molten solder from solder that I had wrapped around the wire. The flash was very bright and very very loud. Please do not try this at home.

Here is where the molten solder landed. My arm. Yea it hurt. Its what I get for playing around and being careless.

Ok so about that contest. I am going to post something about it in the graphic art forum so check it out here http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...286#post237286

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

I inadvertently popped one of those caps from a disposable camera a few years ago with a poorly designed screwdriver (probably from Harbor Freight). It tingled a little bit.

And scared the living piss out of a co-worker.

Interesting work so far, can't wait to see the end result!
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Thanks DT. I have to stop by wal-mart tomorrow and pick up a box of disposable cameras they have been saving for me. The lady called and said it was full. So I am guessing I have 50 or so cameras to salvage more caps from. My sister is having her baby tomorrow so I wont have time to work on winding the coil tomorrow but maybe later in the week I will get to.

cooleo looking forward to it
    you tease!

Anodized

Quote Originally Posted by DonT-FeaR View Post
    good work telling me that the cameras are free... now im gunna kill myself trying to make one thanks tho
    Photo labs will also give away film containers (you remember what film is right?). These are very useful for storing loose change and a large variety of electronic components, like leds, chip holders, resisters, etc.

One thing they don't usually give away is their silver drum. Too bad, imagine the plating you could do with that stuff...

BTW, check out my photos of me shorting one of those disposable photo PCB's, (one capacitor and one capacitor only). My post from Alien Autopsy: The Death of an Alienware Powersupply

BTW +Rep!