Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iPod Touch Idea - IN MS PAINT! lol

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default iPod Touch Idea - IN MS PAINT! lol

My idea is based off of trying to figure out how to turn an iPod Touch into a DIY iPhone.

Basically the idea works like this. The "iPod Connector" is used for the microphone. This part of the device can easily be made by simply hacking already existing devices that do just that. They're microphones that plug into the iPod Standard Connection. So just find one and hack it up. The Audio Plug is for the speaker. Either find a super small speaker that uses an audio jack connection or maybe mod an old phone to suit your needs?

Since its not in 3D, you can't really tell how it all comes together. Basically, its A LOT like this product, except it obviously comes up over the top just like it does at the bottom. Hmmm, maybe I just found an extra albeit costly feature? Extra battery life too? :p

Now just install Skype for the iPhone and Voila! DIY iPhone without the crazy monthly charges! Although call quality will suffer, everything else should work just find. Either way, its doable if you need a phone on the cheap and if you don't rely too heavily on calls or call quality.

So whatchya think? Lame-o idea or pretty neat? I think its rather ingenious personally. jk

Had another thought. I wonder if you could throw in a really small webcam or camera in there? Maybe also from a salvaged phone? It would probably have to be a jailbroken iphone or something though, since I don't think I've ever seen any kind of iPod camera add-on product. Hell, with a microphone, speaker, extended battery and a camera?? One of these would sell for a crap ton! lol
    Last edited by Zephik; 04-03-2009 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Had another thought...
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Default Re: iPod Touch Idea - IN MS PAINT! lol

Interesting concept, could be interesting. If it worked out you could probably sell these.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

I wasnt aware that the ipod touch supported a microphone input.. cool.

A cool idea for sure, but wouldnt it require a jailbroken ipod?

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    I wasnt aware that the ipod touch supported a microphone input.. cool.

A cool idea for sure, but wouldnt it require a jailbroken ipod?
    Nope, since you're just using what's already there. You can have a microphone and a speaker without being jailbroken, then for software all you do is use those which already exist, like Skype or something.

As for the idea of the camera, you would probably need to be jailbroken unless a camera add-on product already exists out there. Then all you would do is use that product.

I bought some clay to play with the other day (I used to take a pottery class, although I was only ever good on the wheel) so maybe I'll mold a concept piece or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Thats basically the idea. The nice thing about my idea is that you don't have to use a headset since its sort of an all-in-one device.

It won't really be useful until the Touch gets Wireless N though. Even with high speed Wireless G, making calls over the internet isn't too enjoyable. So hopefully Wireless N will make a difference in VoIP calls. But once its more do-able than it is now, I would love to have something like this! The only downside would be you would need a wifi connection to make a call. But for saving me $40-$90 a month from a phone bill? Psh, heck yea I would take that trade off.

Then again, I heard that the Touch is supposed to be getting Bluetooth, which would pretty much make this idea pointless. Unless you threw in the extra battery life and camera or something.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephik View Post
    It won't really be useful until the Touch gets Wireless N though. Even with high speed Wireless G, making calls over the internet isn't too enjoyable. So hopefully Wireless N will make a difference in VoIP calls.
    That upgrade would ony make the connection between your ipod and the access point faster.. you would still be limited to whatever your ISP connection speed is. The only benefit to going to N would be slightly better range IMHO.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

Overclocked

The 3.0 OS upgrade coming out in the summer does indeed bring Bluetooth to the touch. In which case, there must be a way of linking it with your real phone, and using the microphone idea to have the touch as a handset that just uses your real phone to connect.
    Current Mod
    AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition 2.7GHz (Overclock Not Tested)
    OCZ 2x2GB DDR2 800Mhz GOLD XTC Memory
    Samsung HD502HI 500GB Hard Drive SATAII - Green Drive
    Zotac 9800GT Synergy Edition 512MB DDR3
    Artic Power 500W PSU
    Gigabyte GA-M57 SLI-S4 Rev. 2.0

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

There's software out for the ipod touch where you can assign an actual number as well so you can receive incoming calls (although you have to be connected to wifi). It's a great thing if you work in an office or somewhere that has wifi available.

You're just screwed while you're out and about running errands or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by AMD Killa View Post
    The 3.0 OS upgrade coming out in the summer does indeed bring Bluetooth to the touch. In which case, there must be a way of linking it with your real phone, and using the microphone idea to have the touch as a handset that just uses your real phone to connect.
    So the touch already has bluetooth hardware in it?

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

Overclocked

Yep, it pretty much the same as the iPhone, just without the phone parts. Although they do want to charge $10 for the OS upgrade for touch users. iPhone users get it free

There's software out for the ipod touch where you can assign an actual number as well so you can receive incoming calls (although you have to be connected to wifi). It's a great thing if you work in an office or somewhere that has wifi available.

You're just screwed while you're out and about running errands or whatever.
    There's skype, and several other apps, and they are, like you rightly said, limited to WIFI access on the touch. However, if this bluetooth upgrade allows tethering to a mobile phone, you may be able to access through the mobile network. However, there would be quite a charge, considering you would need continuous access to recieve calls.

Looks like it would be best to stick to WIFI.

Apparently the new iPhone coming out supports WiMAX, so things are looking up
    Current Mod
    AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition 2.7GHz (Overclock Not Tested)
    OCZ 2x2GB DDR2 800Mhz GOLD XTC Memory
    Samsung HD502HI 500GB Hard Drive SATAII - Green Drive
    Zotac 9800GT Synergy Edition 512MB DDR3
    Artic Power 500W PSU
    Gigabyte GA-M57 SLI-S4 Rev. 2.0