Thread: Is there a Site That Gives you Free Parts

Fresh Paint

Default Is there a Site That Gives you Free Parts

Is there a site or company that gives you parts and the only thing you have to do is write a review and you can keep the parts

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Default Re: Is there a Site That Gives you Free Parts

Unless you have a review site or blog with xxx,xxx unique visitors a day (not hits) your chances of getting free merchandise for reviews is slim to none.

Some times companies will sponsor builds that may generate them business. Most times tho these sponsorships are only given to the best of the best modders who devote countless hours and resources to their build. (I.E: Paul Capelo, Tribalfusion, etc.) This is not to say that getting sponsored is impossible. The best way is to do a few full mods and document them on all of the major modding sites and maybe a personal blog or site. Companies only allocate so many $$ for sponsorships each year and you can count on those sponsorships being filled shortly after they become available.

Always remember that it does not take long to write an email and ask for a product to review or for a sponsorship. The worst they can say is NO.

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Well said! +rep
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

As far as reviewing parts, there are plenty of sites that let you keep the product, but as previously mentioned, you need a lot of hits/visitors a day to even get considered for it. TBCS, for instance, could probably do that (and the staff have talked about it), whereas your personal blog (which probably doesn't get many hits, if it even exists, that is. My blog, which is featured on four or five websites, has <300 views, and it's been up for months) probably won't cut it.

There is another option, though, which is sponsorship. You can ask companies to trade your endorsement of their product, a logo on your computer, or something else in exchange for the product. Depending on the company, your chances vary. Some companies hand them out willy-nilly, others are pretty uptight about sponsorships. The only way to find out is to ask. The worst they can do is say no.

Most places require you to be 18 to review their products, so if you're under 18 that puts you SOL. I can't say for sponsorships, but since their product isn't riding on your professional opinion, I'd imagine they might be a bit more lax.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

One more thing I want to add.

I have a photography blog which is down at the moment due to a server switch. I have applied to several photographic equipment manufactures (read: Canon, Sigma, Really Right Stuff, Hoya, Photogenic, profoto, etc) and got the same replay from all. They wanted to see documentation of at least 500,000-750,000 unique visitors a month with plenty of readers comments on 80% of my post. They also wanted to see my newsletter list and required 10K+ people be on it. All the time and work that would have went into creating the review site they wanted would have been more than I could have bought the equipment for in the first place.

I did however get sent 2 items for review. Bogen/Manfrotto sent me one of their small ball heads for my tripod. It was not designed for a DSLR with heavy glass on the front. It held my P&S up fine but when I attached my 30D or my 1D mkIII to it they were just to heavy. I was also sent a set of gell filters for my shoe mount flash. The total value of these 2 items? Roughly 23-26 dollars and that's including shipping. It took me well over an hour to test and review them so it worked out to about $10.86 a hour and I make almost 10 times that during a wedding shoot.

Unless you have a passion for web authoring and writing and have a desire to lose all your free time then building a review site is not worth it.

Measure once, curse twice nevermind1534's Avatar

If you write a review on here for something that you buy off of xoxide.com, they refund up to $100. There's a thread here with their rules.
    Help my mini city
    Population Industry Transport Security
    Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    It's probably the extreme radiation from the nuclear core in your phone. Push the control rod all the way in.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanLegend_NY View Post
    I'm not selling it in hell I'm selling it on eBay.

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by Oneslowz28 View Post
    One more thing I want to add.

I have a photography blog which is down at the moment due to a server switch. I have applied to several photographic equipment manufactures (read: Canon, Sigma, Really Right Stuff, Hoya, Photogenic, profoto, etc) and got the same replay from all. They wanted to see documentation of at least 500,000-750,000 unique visitors a month with plenty of readers comments on 80% of my post. They also wanted to see my newsletter list and required 10K+ people be on it. All the time and work that would have went into creating the review site they wanted would have been more than I could have bought the equipment for in the first place.

I did however get sent 2 items for review. Bogen/Manfrotto sent me one of their small ball heads for my tripod. It was not designed for a DSLR with heavy glass on the front. It held my P&S up fine but when I attached my 30D or my 1D mkIII to it they were just to heavy. I was also sent a set of gell filters for my shoe mount flash. The total value of these 2 items? Roughly 23-26 dollars and that's including shipping. It took me well over an hour to test and review them so it worked out to about $10.86 a hour and I make almost 10 times that during a wedding shoot.

Unless you have a passion for web authoring and writing and have a desire to lose all your free time then building a review site is not worth it.
    i know a guy with a photography site. ill let him know then i can get the stuff from him

You didn't get the whole point of my post did you?