Thread: Turn laptop into mobile desktop.

Custom Title Honors

Default Turn laptop into mobile desktop.

Hope you like the subject. lol

I have a DV6000 which has a working but junk motherboard in it and is also know for heat/motherboard issues.

Would it be feasible to use the hardware from it to put into a box of some sort like a desktop but have it like the All-In-One computers where the Monitor/PC/drives are all in one housing. I assume I would probably have to use a keyboard and mouse or try to chop the laptop housing up to salvage the keyboard and mouse on it. Right now the laptop works if you reboot it a dozen or more times and dont close the monitor. Also the wireless nic, media buttons dont work. USB works when it wants to. I think I can get a new board for 130 then hopefully not need much material after that. Or I will just leave as a laptop... thought it would be kinda neat though.

On Backup:: CPU- Q9300 Stock HS/F :: MB- Intel board :: RAM- 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) :: GFX- 8800GS HDD- 320GB OS; 1x2TB Storage :: ROM- DVD-ROM :: PSU- Antec 48W :: OS- Win7 x64 :: CASE- CM Centurion 590 :: MON- Dell 1708FP :: MOUSE- Logitech G5 ::

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Re: Turn laptop into mobile desktop.

Isn't that kind of redundant? A laptop IS a mobile desktop. Turning a laptop into a laptop is like dividing my zero man! What are you trying to do? Destroy the universe??

You could definitely place a laptop's innards inside of a desktop case though, if you really wanted to. I don't really see the point, since thats basically what a laptop is albeit much more portable, but who said life had to make sense?

I think you would either have to do some serious modding with a pre-existing case or you would have to build one by scratch to accommodate the odd motherboard layout, as some of the laptop components you cant change around. Well, maybe you could with flexible ribbon adapters?

But I don't really see any sort of benefit from doing such a thing other than from personal preference thing. So if you want to put a laptop inside of a desktop and mod it into an all-in-one pc, then by all means go right ahead.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

I'm considering doing something similar with my Toshiba Satellite P30.. it gets hot as hell, but the sound is amazing, and the 17" screen rock. Hmm..

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Well I can see someone already pointed out the irony.

Challenger yourself to go find a laptop from like 1990 and then build your desktop in your laptop. =D

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Old thread is old.
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.