Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Project: Pawned!

Default Re: Project: Pawned!

Well, I managed a little progress this weekend. It always amazes me how long it takes to do something as simple as drilling holes in a pattern. At any rate, here is the progress.

The round hole mesh will need to be drilled and the excess cut.

Then deciding where the bolts will be drilled to be aesthetically pleasing.

Then to start, using small pilot holes for accuracy and speed of cutting.

Then drilled out to accommodate the correct size bolts.

Next the mesh sheet was fitted and holes drilled.

Then Cleaned and bolts lined up and assembled.

Just to give you an idea of what has been cut...

Finally a few shots of the panel on the case. Its starting to come together.

That's all for today. Coming up, more work on the Plexiglas front.

Stay tuned!

Wag

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

The side panel looks excellent! I like the fact that you used a lot of bolts, it really sets it off. Are those the bolts you plan to use in the finished product?
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar

Nice progress Wag, looking better every update, looks like you did a great job on the front bezel too, it all just looks so right .

looking good. I think you should use black bolts instead of the shiny ones. would look better IMO. unless you are painting that panel black, then the shiny is nice. dont remember if you are painting it white or not (I have it white in my head)
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Actually those are the bolts I'll be using for both the front and the side. I will be painting all of those bolts black to contrast the bright white of the case. Wouldn't have it any other way.

that mesh side looks wicked!
    is that a 120.9 raddy on your case, or are you just happy to see me?

METO V.1
    METO V.2
    METO V.3
    PC-Beto
    Project M8 [WIP]

Quote Originally Posted by Wag View Post
    Actually those are the bolts I'll be using for both the front and the side. I will be painting all of those bolts black to contrast the bright white of the case. Wouldn't have it any other way.

excellent.
    ber is id elicous

Got another small update for everyone tonight. Nothing groundbreaking but thought I'd share. In preparations for painting the panels I decided it was time to remove the.... whatever these things are called from the Pawn side of the case.

Fairly easy to remove. Just needed a little squeeze and they popped right out.

I'm not sure what they are called, but I didn't need them messing up any paint as I'm sure they would have. They will be replaced after the paint has dried and set.

It was also time to start taking off the sharp edges from some of the dremel work. Again, nothing groundbreaking. Took out the mouse sander and just cleaned it up.

The panels are nearly ready for paint. Finishing the Plexiglas front is the next real big step. It is also the final step before the sides and front can be painted.

Their is a small amount of designing that still needs to be done in regards to the front of the case. I plan on adding in a four-fan controller.

However, I don't plan on adding in the drive bay. Instead the controls will be added directly thru the front Plexi. Some disassembly was required.

The black knobs will be kept and added back in afterward.

I also hope to integrate two USB ports to the front of the case. I'm unsure at this point how exactly or where exactly they will end up as to not impede upon the design. Hopefully I can find a way.

Lastly, I will need to integrate an optical drive somehow. I have not yet decided whether it would be a slot loading drive or standard drive. For now, I'll be using a old PATA drive for measurements.

It almost looks like it was planned to fit thru the front ;-)

In the top bay, the tray will end up very near the top of the case. Not necessarily a bad thing, but something to consider.

Taking off the drive's bezel and replacing it with something custom would be very easy. However, it would require modding the drive that will permanently reside in the space.

This drive will certainly not be the one that ends up there.

Anyone have any recommendations as far as slot loading vs tray? I've been planning on a standard tray loading drive I guess, but something keeps me coming back to the slot idea. As i understand it, a slim slot loading drive works just fine with a desktop PC even though they are generally found in laptops.

I have also considered omitting an optical drive altogether. In this day and age, optical discs are just not as useful as they once were. Not to mention there is always the external option. It would lend to a cleaner look to the front of the case, of that there is no doubt. I can't help but think that as my main computer, leaving off the optical drive might be a mistake. Even if it gets extremely limited use.

I'd be interested in hearing anyone elses thoughts on that matter. I'm fairly certain that I'll be omitting a Blu-ray drive even if I do put in an optical drive. I just can't justify that one.

Until next time.

Wag

I love my slot-loading drive on my laptop. much more slick. I believe you need to get an adapter to IDE to be able to use it in your desktop.

sidenote: how do you like that black & decker sander? wally world has em on clearance is why I ask.
    ber is id elicous

The sandpaper is a little on spendy side, but the tool itself is great. It is small and versatile, easy to handle and relatively quiet. The one I got came with a plethora of attachments some of which are incredibly useful and others that are not. For the price of the unit itself, I can deal with a little higher sandpaper costs. I'm sure it’s only expensive because its Velcro backed.