Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Pawned!

Default Project: Pawned!

Howdy folks

I'm far enough along on my latest project that I determined a worklog was the logical next step. So after resizing close to sixty images for the site I'll try to get some progress posted.
    For those of you who are new to my work, you can check out my previous mods as follows:

Dewy: My First Mod
    http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...ad.php?t=16825

Khaos: My Brothers Birthday Present
    http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...ad.php?t=15571

Champloo: A short and Sweet mod for my Cousin
    http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...ad.php?t=15763

Ok, so now that the shameless plug is out of the way, On to the newest project: Pawned

They all start out so innocent. Just a good sturdy Antec tower case. Can't remember the model name but I'm sure we've all seen them before.

and so.... Disassembly begins.

The sides are removed with ease and then the feet come off. I may or may not use them again later. Haven’t yet decided.

The top and bottom takes a little more care, requiring me to drill out the rivits.

With no top

With no top or bottom

Leaving me with a stack of panels

Next its time to start drawing up the design on the case. Using a created image created in Photoshop then printing onto 3 separate pages, taping together, taping the corners to the panel, and finally using carbon paper to transfer the image.

Then outlined with a sharpie to make things easier to see.

The other panel was a little more difficult to design. With the Checkerboard design I went back and forth about cutting the entire deal out and them gluing the parts or bolting the parts back on to create the checkerboard pattern. Ultimately I decided that cutting out the individual squares would lend itself well to the design and give the pattern an interesting effect. Leaving me measuring and re-measuring my lines until I had a pattern that worked on the side.

Then on to the cutting...

Man that was thick metal. Each square used a full cutting wheel disc with the dremel. Sometimes closer to two.

So about sixty cutting wheel discs later, we finally have the first result.

Next time, we tackle the pawn.

Until next time...

Default Re: Project: Pawned!

Ok, so the next step was cutting out the Pawn. A fairly easy task to do with the jigsaw and a couple of incisions with the dremel. There was a little cleanup afterward with the dremel as well, but considerably easier than the individual squares of the last post.

I'll be cutting out the lettering later... I think... Still haven't decided.... anyway.

For the top, again, it was the same design in Photoshop, print, tape, carbon copy, rinse, repeat. The design will be asymmetrical due to some limitations on the case itself, plus it has the added benefit of looking good.

I'll also be knocking a few squares out of the bottom to help lighten up the case. The thing is a friggan beast.

Then its back to cutting. The angles and curves were all a little tighter on the top panel which made it a little trickier. Most of it was done using the jigsaw and cleaned up in some areas using the dremel.

Leaving me with this mirror image design for the top.

With the sides "mostly" cut i was able to get a taste of what the case may look like when reassembled.

Aside from that I just wanted to loose a little more weight on the skeleton so a few incisions for some different fans and we've lost a few more ounces.

Lastly, I got my few extra squares and a few more ounces cut out of the bottom.

That’s all for now, so, until next time.

Wag

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

looking good, nice work so far! love that reverse image on the top +rep

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Holy crap dude. What are your plans for the fugly bezel? +rep
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

I love that reversed image on the top too! Very cool!

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Awesome work on the cutouts, I once modded a chieftec myself and I know that steel is a bitch to cut but it turned out really great here!

Let me guess, you're going to paint it black and white?

Anodized

My first thought - "u n00b itz notz like u wrotez pwn -_-" lol noob".
    Then, "Oh, yeah it reminds me about something - I am dumb!".
    This realy cool idea, I digg it!
    Btw, what plexi you will use there? Red, black, white(semi transparent)?

Code:
    ar -r God

Excellent cut outs! I'm amazed at that chessboard design, very, very cool!
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

I've got the madcow, what's your excuse? Bopher's Avatar

That looks great. I think I'm with a lot of the others liking the mirror image on the top. I was looking going that would look cool mirrored then BAM! it was. +rep

"Technical neglect is one of the worst kinds of neglect, won't you sponsor an octal or adsl2 card so they can someday grow up into big capable adsl2+ cards? random celebrity does."

A big old Tease Apparently DonT-FeaR's Avatar

man... that is some really nice dremel work mate...

reppage 4 u
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    you tease!