Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Project: Pawned!

Default Re: Project: Pawned!

The front bezel will never be seen or heard from again. That thing is unsalvageable. I plan on finding some sort of material (probably plastic or "styrene"... same difference) to make a half inch space around the edge and provide proper standoffs and supports for the middle then a 1/4 in sheet of styrene which will cover the entire front and I can mount my fans and switches directly to.

I'll be using clear plexi for the top and left side. This clear plexi will be backed with an opaque sheet of black vinyl and will have red glow tape on its edges to provide some backlighting to the cutouts (unless that doesn’t provide enough light in which case I'll have to improvise and use LED's instead.)

The actual Pawn Cutout will probably be open air with some sort of round hole mesh (plastic or metal of some sort.)

The color scheme will be white and black. I plan on painting the internal chassis black and all the panels white. I plan on clear coating the panels and bezel with a pearlescent coat to make it shine. The front sheet of plastic will match the sides while the filled roughly half inch space between the front bezel and the front of the chassis will be a black highlight. I plan on using a wire fan grill on the front with a 120mm fan. The wire grill will be painted black. On the rear of the case the exhaust fans will also get wire fan grills painted white to contrast the black chassis. Also a secondary vent on the back will likely get covered with round hole mesh painted white to contrast the black.

Just to give you an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by h3moglobe0 View Post
    My first thought - "u n00b itz notz like u wrotez pwn -_-" lol noob".
    Then, "Oh, yeah it reminds me about something - I am dumb!".
    Btw, this post made me LoL ;-)

Nice design! Keep up the good work. +rep

Nice design! I really like it.

By the looks of it 8x8 wouldn't have fit with your size squares, but just wanted to let you know now that your chess board is off by one square in each direction. Just so you didn't see that later and freak or something in case it was something that was overlooked.

Great job though, and great patience with those cutouts.

Heheh good point. I actually did that on purpose for stylistic reasons. By making the board one square short per side, I was able to keep a symmetrical look to the side of the case. Also, I liked the way the solid corners of the board looked better than having the squares open in the corners. Just felt liked it added a certain something.

It wasn't an oversight; it was actually designed that way. I appreciate the concern though ;-)

Thanks

Wag

Happy new year everyone!

I know, I know... it's been a long time.... a really long time.

It's not that I haven't been thinking about it or anything. Actually I haven't been modding that much because work has been going quite well. Well to the point of two promotions in the past year. Of course with any promotions comes more time and commitment to the job while one settles in. It seems that more change at work is just around the bend, but this week I managed to catch up and clean up the garage. Part of it is because of the weather. Like most of the upper midwest we had some weather out our way. To top that off, today it never got above fifteen below. Most of the time staying closer to twenty below. Currently, weather.com says its 23 below. So... it's cold. (temps are in Fahrenheit for those of you outside the states, that makes it much MUCH colder!)

Can hardly keep the workshop warm enough to work in. I think I may have wrecked some batteries due to my baseboard heater not working back there and the ole Infared heater can barely keep up.

So how was the weather you ask? Well, here is a view from the shop...

Ok... it's a little tough looking out the window. Here, let's open the door instead...

and to round it off, a more unencumbered view...

So getting to the project at hand. Sadly I haven't made a lot of progress. I managed to make a small amount of progress as well as add a couple of tools to the shop.

New Table Saw!

New Drill Press!

New Drill Bits!

Finally, on to the small bit of progress. I'm planning on using a piece of plexiglass for the front of the case and I'm sick of the score and break method (after having a mixed bag of results with the method in the past.) Also, the piece is nearly 8 x 17 so it's a relatively large piece to have cut.

So with the new table saw I began to cut to size.

It does a fair job of cutting. I have to be careful as I feed it through or else it is possible to catch in a few places and end up taking small chunks out of my nice clean edge. Luckily I had planned on this happening and will be able to file the edge down without problem.

Across the other direction I used a little more care and took a little more time. It was much easier as it was only and 8 inch cut as opposed to a 24 inch cut.

A much cleaner cut.

Sizing it up to fit the front nicely.

I finally found some time to clean up my edges on the bottom panel of the case as well. They are much cleaner and much more square than before. Just needed a little TLC.

Wrapping up the small update I got most of my letters cut out of the bottom of the case as well. Need a little work on the "P" but otherwise coming along nicely.

Aside from that there isn't much else to show. Hopefully, I'll get snowed in a few more times which should help me make a little more progress. In all honesty, there isn't a whole lot more to do with it. I'm really scrambling to find time to work on it so hopefully we'll see a little more action in the coming weeks.

Thanks for your interest folks, sorry to keep you waiting!

Wag

Wow! A unique idea, and your attention to detail so far is admirable. Certainly keeping an eye on this'n.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

cool to see this thing taking shape!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

I love the cuts on the side panel. Glad to see you're pressing forward!

Off Topic:

WHERE ON EARTH DO YOU LIVE IN THE U.S.?! I'd kill for that much snow up in ski country. We've been drilling gates (ski racing) into dirt all season. D=
    "Don't imitate the world; Create your own."

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

I'm in mass and we've gotten a good foot or so over the past 48hrs

Heh.. I know what that's like. We had 22 inches over Christmas weekend. Blowing and drifting and everything. Couldn't leave the house until that Sunday. Temperature was great though. A balmy twenty-six degrees. Didn't turn cold until mid week. We almost hit zero today... almost....

Guess I didn't realize that Ski Country was hard up for snow. I'm in northern Minnesota about ninety miles away from the Canadian boarder. Right in the Red River Valley. We don't often get that big of snow falls. 6 - 8 inches are pretty normal for us from time to time, but 22 inches in one storm is a bit of an anomaly. Not unheard of, but just a little more rare.

Anyway, I did make a small amount of progress today and I thought I'd share. Cleaned up my "P" (no pun intended) which should complete the cutting on the side panel.

Which allowed me to concentrate on what is going to go behind the Pawn design. It may seem silly, but here is the material I'll be using.

That's right, it's a perforated baking sheet. Picked it up for twenty dollars at my local restaurant supply store. The perforated part is plenty big to back the pawn design and I'll have a small amount left over to dress up the back of the case as well. Its lightweight aluminum so I'll have to be careful with the cut out pieces as to not bend them too terribly.

It has a fantastic look to it though.

The raised edges may be good for baking, but for my purposes, they've gotta go. Four holes in the corners to allow my jigsaw blade in and away I went.

The thin Aluminum cut quickly and cleanly.

Finally, a quick fit to make absolutely sure that there was enough material to successfully back the Pawn.

Looks good to me.

That's all I have for today. We'll see how the week goes and I'll keep you posted. For now... it's back to work bright and early tomorrow.

Thanks

Wag